A review of leading composite indicators: making a case for their use in Caribbean economies
In this article, three issues relating to leading composite indicators (LCI) are discussed: their importance, methods of estimation and uses by institutions worldwide. This discussion is utilised to provide lessons that could be learnt for the application of these indicators to the countries of the Caribbean. The principal message of this material is that in this geographical area, LCI would be important tools for economic decision makers to employ to forecast the future state of the economy. This option should be pursued vigorously by putting the necessary resources into developing the high frequency real sector data that is required for a successful application of the LCI methodology.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Applied Econometrics and International Development 2.9(2009): pp. 145-161|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burkart, Oliver & Coudert, Virginie, 2002. "Leading indicators of currency crises for emerging countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 107-133, June.
- Éric Heyer & Hervé Péléraux, 2004.
"Un indicateur de croissance infra-annuelle pour l'économie française,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 88(1), pages 203-218.
- Hervé Péléraux & Eric Heyer, 2004. "Un indicateur de croissance infra-annuelle pour l'économie française," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/1926, Sciences Po.
- Joannes Mongardini & Tahsin Saadi-Sedik, 2003. "Estimating Indexes of Coincident and Leading Indicators: An Application to Jordan," IMF Working Papers 03/170, International Monetary Fund.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1993.
"A Procedure for Predicting Recessions with Leading Indicators: Econometric Issues and Recent Experience,"
in: Business Cycles, Indicators and Forecasting, pages 95-156
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1992. "A Procedure for Predicting Recessions With Leading Indicators: Econometric Issues and Recent Experience," NBER Working Papers 4014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gladys COTRIE & Roland CRAIGWELL & Alain MAURIN, 2009. "Estimating Indexes Of Coincident And Leading Indicators For Barbados," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(2).
- Vincent Bodart & Fati Shadman-Mehta, 2004. "Prévoir les retournements conjoncturels en Belgique : les nouveaux indicateurs de l’IRES," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 26, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Yanjun Liu & Carl Gaudreault & Robert Lamy, . "New Concident, Leading and Recession Indexes for the Canadian Economy: An Application of the Stock and Watson Methodology," Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada 2003-12, Department of Finance Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.