Knock-on effect of non-manufacturing regulation on manufacturing sectors efficiency and productivity
Since the mid of nineties European countries are registering an anemic growth of economic activity, in large part due to the dynamic of productivity. In 2010 the European Council adopted a new Agenda, Euro2020, which aim is to boost growth also improving European competitiveness. Regulation is one of the main factors influencing competitiveness. This paper focuses on the determinants of Total Factor Productivity (TFP) growth in 13 manufacturing sectors in a panel of 18 OECD countries from 1975 to 2007. Using the Stochastic Frontier Approach applied to the EU-KLEMS and OECD’s Regulation Impact Indicator database I found that, given the strong negative relationship between regulation and Technical Efficiency, which is one of the drivers of TFP, countries with still tight regulation in services could/should reduced it in order to improve their economic performance without detriment for public finances.
|Date of creation:||14 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Griffin, Ronald C. & Montgomery, John M. & Rister, M. Edward, 1987. "Selecting Functional Form In Production Function Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Philippe Aghion & Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & Peter Howitt & Susanne Prantl, 2004.
"Entry and Productivity Growth: Evidence from Microlevel Panel Data,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(2-3), pages 265-276, 04/05.
- Prantl, Susanne & Howitt, Peter & Griffith, Rachel & Blundell, Richard & Aghion, Philippe, 2004. "Entry and Productivity Growth: Evidence From Microlevel Panel Data," Scholarly Articles 4481510, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
10310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, Hung-Jen & Ho, Chia-Wen, 2010.
"Estimating fixed-effect panel stochastic frontier models by model transformation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 286-296, August.
- Wang, Hung-Jen & Ho, Chia-Wen, 2009. "Estimating fixed-effect panel stochastic frontier models by model transformation," MPRA Paper 31081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sharma, Subhash C. & Sylwester, Kevin & Margono, Heru, 2007. "Decomposition of total factor productivity growth in U.S. states," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 215-241, May.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2944, The World Bank.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Paul Conway & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2006. "Product Market Regulation in the Non-Manufacturing Sectors of OECD Countries: Measurement and Highlights," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 530, OECD Publishing.
- Karel Havik & Kieran Mc Morrow & Werner R�ger & Alessandro Turrini, 2008. "The EU-US total factor productivity gap : An industry perspective," European Economy - Economic Papers 339, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 2006. "Joseph Schumpeter Lecture Appropriate Growth Policy: A Unifying Framework," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 269-314, 04-05.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.