Spatial effects and Verdoorn law in the Portuguese context
The consideration of spatial effects at a regional level is becoming increasingly frequent and the work of Anselin (1988), among others, has contributed to this. This study analyses, through cross-section estimation methods, the influence of spatial effects in productivity (product per worker) in the NUTs III economic sectors of mainland Portugal from 1995 to 1999 and from 2000 to 2005 (taking in count the availability of data), considering the Verdoorn relationship. To analyse the data, by using Moran I statistics, it is stated that productivity is subject to a positive spatial autocorrelation (productivity of each of the regions develops in a similar manner to each of the neighbouring regions), above all in services. The total of all sectors present, also, indicators of being subject to positive autocorrelation in productivity. Bearing in mind the results of estimations, it can been that the effects of spatial spillovers, spatial lags (measuring spatial autocorrelation through the spatially lagged dependent variable) and spatial error (measuring spatial autocorrelation through the spatially lagged error terms), influence the Verdoorn relationship when it is applied to the economic sectors of Portuguese regions.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Abreu & Henride Groot & Raymond Florax, 2004.
"Spatial Patterns of Technology Diffusion: An Empirical Analysis Using TFP,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p425, European Regional Science Association.
- Maria Abreu & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2004. "Spatial Patterns of Technology Diffusion: An Empirical Analysis using TFP," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-079/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Johan Lundberg, 2006.
"Using spatial econometrics to analyse local growth in Sweden,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 303-316.
- Johan Lundberg, 2004. "Using Spatial Econometrics to Analyze Local Growth in Sweden," ERSA conference papers ersa04p25, European Regional Science Association.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Koh, Won, 2003.
"Testing panel data regression models with spatial error correlation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 123-150, November.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Won Koh, 2002. "Testing Panel Data Regression Models with Spatial Error Correlation," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B6-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Gianfranco Piras, 2005.
"Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects,"
ISAE Working Papers
51, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Giuseppe Arbia & Gianfranco Piras, 2004. "Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects," ERSA conference papers ersa04p524, European Regional Science Association.
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003.
"Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998. "Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002.
"Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology,"
- Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2003. "Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 557-579, September.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Fingleton, B & McCombie, J S L, 1998. "Increasing Returns and Economic Growth: Some Evidence for Manufacturing from the European Union Regions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 89-105, January.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998.
"Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration,"
NBER Working Papers
6429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. Hanson, Gordon, 2005. "Market potential, increasing returns and geographic concentration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Hanson, G.H., 1999. "`Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration," Working Papers 439, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004.
"Spatial Heterogeneity and the Wage Curve revisited,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-054/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2006. "Spatial Heterogeneity And The Wage Curve Revisited," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 707-731.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004. "Spatial Heterogeneity and the Wage Curve Revisited," ERSA conference papers ersa04p115, European Regional Science Association.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011.
"Spatial Effects and Verdoorn Law in the Portuguese Context,"
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "Spatial effects and Verdoorn law in the Portuguese context," MPRA Paper 32183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- J. Elhorst, 2010. "Applied Spatial Econometrics: Raising the Bar," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 9-28.
- Krister Sandberg, 2004. "Growth of GRP in Chinese Provinces. A Test for Spatial Spillovers," ERSA conference papers ersa04p596, European Regional Science Association.
- Luc Anselin & Rodolfo Bongiovanni & Jess Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2004. "A Spatial Econometric Approach to the Economics of Site-Specific Nitrogen Management in Corn Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 675-687.
- Fingleton, B., 1999. "Economic Geography with Spatial Econometrics: a 'Third Way' to Analyse Economic Development and 'Equilibrium', with Application to the EU Regions," Economics Working Papers eco99/21, European University Institute.
- Göran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.