Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects
This paper studies the convergence of per-capita GDP across European regions over a fairly long period. Most of the works in the field are based on either cross-sectional or fixed-effects estimates. We propose the estimation of convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions by making use of panel-data models extended to include spatial error autocorrelation (Anselin, 1988; Elhorst, 2003). This will allow us to extend the traditional betaconvergence model to include a rigorous treatment of the spatial correlation among the intercept terms. A spatial analysis of such intercept terms will also be performed in order to shed light on the concept of spatially conditional convergence.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.istat.it/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:110:y:1995:i:4:p:1127-70 is not listed on IDEAS
- Badi H. Baltagi & Dong Li, 2006.
"Prediction in the Panel Data Model with Spatial Correlation: The Case of Liquor,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
84, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi Baltagi & Dong Li, 2006. "Prediction in the Panel Data Model with Spatial Correlation: the Case of Liquor," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 175-185.
- Valentina Meliciani & Franco Peracchi, 2006.
"Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions: a reappraisal,"
Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 549-568, September.
- Valentina Meliciani & Franco Peracchi, 2004. "Convergence in Per-capita GDP Across European Regions: A Reappraisal," CEIS Research Paper 58, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1994. "Public-Sector Capital and the Productivity Puzzle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 12-21, February.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-65, July.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Roberto Basile & Mirella Salvatore, 2002. "Regional Convergence in Italy 1951-199: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," ISAE Working Papers 29, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isa:wpaper:51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.