Spatial autocorrelation and Verdoorn law in the Portuguese nuts III
This study analyses, through cross-section estimation methods, the influence of spatial effects in productivity (product per worker), at economic sectors level of the NUTs III of mainland Portugal, from 1995 to 1999 and from 2000 to 2005 (taking in count the data availability and the Portuguese and European context), considering the Verdoorn relationship. From the analyses of the data, by using Moran I statistics, it is stated that productivity is subject to a positive spatial autocorrelation (productivity of each of the regions develops in a similar manner to each of the neighbouring regions), above all in services. The total sectors of all regional economy present, also, indicators of being subject to positive autocorrelation in productivity. Bearing in mind the results of estimations, it can been that the effects of spatial spillovers, spatial lags (measuring spatial autocorrelation through the spatially lagged dependent variable) and spatial error (measuring spatial autocorrelation through the spatially lagged error terms), influence the Verdoorn relationship when it is applied to the economic sectors of Portuguese regions. The results obtained for the two periods are different, as expected, and are better in second period, because, essentially, the European and national public supports.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Abreu & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2004.
"Spatial Patterns of Technology Diffusion: An Empirical Analysis using TFP,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-079/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Maria Abreu & Henride Groot & Raymond Florax, 2004. "Spatial Patterns of Technology Diffusion: An Empirical Analysis Using TFP," ERSA conference papers ersa04p425, European Regional Science Association.
- Fingleton, B & McCombie, J S L, 1998. "Increasing Returns and Economic Growth: Some Evidence for Manufacturing from the European Union Regions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 89-105, January.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004.
"Spatial Heterogeneity and the Wage Curve Revisited,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p115, European Regional Science Association.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2006. "Spatial Heterogeneity And The Wage Curve Revisited," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 707-731.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004. "Spatial Heterogeneity and the Wage Curve revisited," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-054/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ramajo, Julián & Márquez, Miguel A. & Hewings, Geoffrey J.D. & Salinas, María M., 2008. "Spatial heterogeneity and interregional spillovers in the European Union: Do cohesion policies encourage convergence across regions?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 551-567, April.
- Luc Anselin & Rodolfo Bongiovanni & Jess Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2004. "A Spatial Econometric Approach to the Economics of Site-Specific Nitrogen Management in Corn Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 675-687.
- Fingleton, B., 1999. "Economic Geography with Spatial Econometrics: a 'Third Way' to Analyse Economic Development and 'Equilibrium', with Application to the EU Regions," Economics Working Papers eco99/21, European University Institute.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Anselin, Luc & Moreno, Rosina, 2003.
"Properties of tests for spatial error components,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 595-618, September.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2001. "Equilibrium and Economic Growth: Spatial Econometric Models and Simulations," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 117-147.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Won Koh, 2002.
"Testing Panel Data Regression Models with Spatial Error Correlation,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
B6-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Koh, Won, 2003. "Testing panel data regression models with spatial error correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 123-150, November.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2007. "A multi-equation spatial econometric model, with application to EU manufacturing productivity growth," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 119-144, June.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011.
"Spatial Effects and Verdoorn Law in the Portuguese Context,"
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "Spatial effects and Verdoorn law in the Portuguese context," MPRA Paper 32183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Susan Chen & Raymond J. G. M. Florax & Samantha Snyder & Christopher C. Miller, 2010. "Obesity and Access to Chain Grocers," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 86(4), pages 431-452, October.
- Kim, Chong Won & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 1998.
"Measuring The Benefits Of Air Quality Improvement: A Spatial Hedonic Approach,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20959, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Won Kim, Chong & Phipps, Tim T. & Anselin, Luc, 2003. "Measuring the benefits of air quality improvement: a spatial hedonic approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Johan Lundberg, 2006.
"Using spatial econometrics to analyse local growth in Sweden,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 303-316.
- Johan Lundberg, 2004. "Using Spatial Econometrics to Analyze Local Growth in Sweden," ERSA conference papers ersa04p25, European Regional Science Association.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Mauro Costantini & Giuseppe Arbia, 2006. "Testing the stochastic convergence of Italian regions using panel data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(12), pages 775-783.
- J. Elhorst, 2010. "Applied Spatial Econometrics: Raising the Bar," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 9-28.
- Anselin, Luc, 2007. "Spatial econometrics in RSUE: Retrospect and prospect," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 450-456, July.
- Florax, Raymond J.G.M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2006. "A comment on specification searches in spatial econometrics: The relevance of Hendry's methodology: A reply," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 300-308, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:32165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.