Spatial Effects in Convergence of Portuguese Product
This study analyses, through cross-section estimation methods, the influence of spatial effects in the conditional product convergence in the parishes' economies of mainland Portugal between 1991 and 2001 (the last year with data available for this spatial disaggregation level). To analyse the data, Moran's I statistics is considered, and it is stated that product is subject to positive spatial autocorrelation (product develops in a similar manner to product in neighbouring regions). Taking into account the estimation results, it is stated that there are not indications of convergence (the population is in the littoral of Portugal) and it can be seen that spatial spillover effects, spatial lag (capturing spatial autocorrelation through a spatially lagged dependent variable) and spatial error (capturing spatial autocorrelation through a spatially lagged error term) condition the convergence of product of Portuguese parishes in the period under consideration (1)(Martinho, 2011).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johan Lundberg, 2004.
"Using Spatial Econometrics to Analyze Local Growth in Sweden,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p25, European Regional Science Association.
- Johan Lundberg, 2006. "Using spatial econometrics to analyse local growth in Sweden," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 303-316.
- Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2003.
"Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 557-579, September.
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002. "Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology," Urban/Regional 0202001, EconWPA.
- Maria Abreu & Henride Groot & Raymond Florax, 2004.
"Spatial Patterns of Technology Diffusion: An Empirical Analysis Using TFP,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p425, European Regional Science Association.
- Maria Abreu & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2004. "Spatial Patterns of Technology Diffusion: An Empirical Analysis using TFP," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-079/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011.
"Spatial Effects in Convergence of Portuguese Product,"
- VÃtor Martinho, 2011. "Spatial Effects in Convergence of Portuguese Product," Working Papers 79, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Gianfranco Piras, 2005.
"Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects,"
ISAE Working Papers
51, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Giuseppe Arbia & Gianfranco Piras, 2004. "Convergence in per-capita GDP across European regions using panel data models extended to spatial autocorrelation effects," ERSA conference papers ersa04p524, European Regional Science Association.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2001. "Equilibrium and Economic Growth: Spatial Econometric Models and Simulations," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 117-147.
- Luc Anselin, 2010. "Thirty years of spatial econometrics," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(1), pages 3-25, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1110.5556. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.