A dynamic general equilibrium model for tax policy analysis in Colombia
The paper documents a dynamic general equilibrium model for Colombia based on national accounts from 1999. The paper is part of a project intended to develop a capacity for the the design, specification, and application of computable models within the Colombian Ministry of Finance and Department of National Planning. Our analytical framework includes both forwardlooking expectations and Harris-Todaro labor markets. In the present paper we compare numerical results from the dynamic model with simpler static and steady-state formulations to highlight the importance of transitional effects in evaluating tax policy reform. Our applications include measurement of the marginal cost of funds from different tax bases and the evaluation of discrete changes in tariff structure. The structure of the labor and intermediate credit markets have important implications for the ranking alternative tax reform proposals.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todaro, Michael P, 1969. "A Model for Labor Migration and Urban Unemployment in Less Developed Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 138-148, March.
- Thomas F. Rutherford & David G. Tarr, 2003. "Regional Trading Arrangements for Chile: do the Results Differ with a Dynamic Model?," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 94-95, pages 261-281.
- Rutherford, Thomas F, 1999. "Applied General Equilibrium Modeling with MPSGE as a GAMS Subsystem: An Overview of the Modeling Framework and Syntax," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 14(1-2), pages 1-46, October.
- Tatsuo Hatta, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21.
- Dantzig, George B. & Manne, Alan S., 1974. "A complementarity algorithm for an optimal capital path with invariant proportions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 312-323, November.
- Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G., 2002. "Trade liberalization, product variety and growth in a small open economy: a quantitative assessment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 247-272, March.
- Ferris, Michael C. & Munson, Todd S., 2000. "Complementarity problems in GAMS and the PATH solver," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 165-188, February.
- Glenn W. Harrison & Thomas F. Rutherford & David G. Tarr, 2014.
"Trade Policy Options for Chile: The Importance of Market Access,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: APPLIED TRADE POLICY MODELING IN 16 COUNTRIES Insights and Impacts from World Bank CGE Based Projects, chapter 14, pages 329-359
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Glenn W. Harrison & Thomas F. Rutherford & David G. Tarr, 2002. "Trade Policy Options for Chile: The Importance of Market Access," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 49-79, June.
- Lau, Morten I. & Pahlke, Andreas & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2002. "Approximating infinite-horizon models in a complementarity format: A primer in dynamic general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 577-609, April.
- Hansen, Terje & Koopmans, Tjalling C., 1972. "On the definition and computation of a capital stock invariant under optimization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 487-523, December.
- Terje Hansen & Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1972. "On the Definition and Computation of a Capital Stock Invariant Under Optimization," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 313R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Hutton & Anna Ruocco, 1999. "Tax Reform and Employment in Europe," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 6(3), pages 263-287, August.
- Thomas F. Rutherford & Miles K. LIGHT, 2002. "A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Analysis in Colombia: The MEGATAX Model," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 011291, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:28435. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.