The political business cycle in Colombia on the National and Regional level
The plan of this report is the following. In the next section we present a conceptual background, reviewing the basic opportunistic political business cycle, the problems with monetary theories, and the theory and evidence supporting the existence of a political fiscal cycle. In section 3, we describe the data and the basic format of the empirical tests. As indicated above, a major contribution of this study is both the collection of regional and local data and novel use of these data to test for policy effects of elections. In section 4 we discuss the empirical results at the national level. In section 5 we consider the results for fiscal variables at the regional (state and city) level. A key result of these sections is the effect of elections on investment spending prior to the election. We look at the effects of both national and regional elections on regional level data, giving special emphasis to the question of whether the regional results reflect a response to national elections or to regional elections themselves. In these two sections we also examine more closely some of the more surprising results. The final section contains a summary and conclusions.
|Date of creation:||21 Jan 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier A. Birchenall, 2007. "Income distribution and macroeconomics in Colombia," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 16(2), pages 6-24, June.
- Castro Carlos Alberto, 2001.
"Eficiencia-X en el sector bancario colombiano,"
REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD,
UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE, September.
- Juan Carlos ECHEVERRY GARZON, 2002. "El siglo del modelo de desarrollo," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002552, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Ortega, Juan Ricardo & Piraquive, Gabriel Armando & Hernandez, Gustavo Adolfo & Soto, Carolina & Prada, Sergio & Ramirez, Juan Mauricio, 2000.
"Incidencia fiscal de los incentivos tributarios
[Fiscal Incidence of tax incentives]," MPRA Paper 14016, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas F. RUTHERFORD & Miles K. LIGHT & Gustavo Adolfo HERNANDEZ, 2002. "A dynamic general equilibrium model for tax policy analysis in Colombia," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 001910, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Fernando MESA PARRA, 2001. "Strategic Trade Policy and Exchange Rate Uncertainty," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 003527, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Hernandez, Gustavo Adolfo & Light, Miles & Rutherford, Thomas, 2002. "A dynamic general equilibrium model for tax policy analysis in Colombia," MPRA Paper 28435, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francisco Javier LASSO VALDERRAMA, 2002. "Economías de escala en los hogares y pobreza," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002399, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Thomas F. Rutherford & Miles K. LIGHT, 2002. "A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Analysis in Colombia: The MEGATAX Model," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 011291, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000118:003616. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bricelda Delgado Martínez)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.