La fracture numérique Nord-Sud de la méditerranée; une explication néo-institutionnelle
[A digital divide between north and south of Mediterranean sea: A neo-institutional explanation]
Focusing on institutional explanations we try to apprehend the digital divide phenomena. We show that competition measured by mobile phone number of operators is positively and significantly correlated to mobile phone diffusion. We always show that other institutional factors like (independent) regulation, privatization (taken twice) and the sequence of reforms had played a major role in the mobile phone diffusion. Particularly we find that reform sequency have an elevated coefficient demonstrating the powerful role played by this action to give a response to the digital divide phenomena particularly in the telephony field.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quibria, M. G. & Ahmed, Shamsun N. & Tschang, Ted & Reyes-Macasaquit, Mari-Len, 2003. "Digital divide: determinants and policies with special reference to Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 811-825, January.
- Pascal Petit, 1999.
"Les aléas de la croissance dans une économie fondée sur le savoir,"
Revue d'Économie Industrielle,
Programme National Persée, vol. 88(1), pages 41-66.
- Petit, Pascal, 1999. "Les aléas de la croissance dans une économie fondée sur le savoir," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9909, CEPREMAP.
- Li, Wei & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2004. "The Impact of Privatization and Competition in the Telecommunications Sector around the World," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 395-430, October.
- Wong, Poh-Kam, 2001.
"ICT Production and Diffusion in Asia Digital Dividends or Digital Divide?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wong, Poh-Kam, 2002. "ICT production and diffusion in Asia Digital dividends or digital divide?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 167-187, June.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 1994. "Computers and Output Growth Revisited: How Big Is the Puzzle?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(2), pages 273-334.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1992.
"General Purpose Technologies "Engines of Growth?","
NBER Working Papers
4148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CIG Working Papers FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Wallsten, Scott, 2003. "Regulation and internet use in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2979, The World Bank.
- Robert E. Litan & Alice M. Rivlin, 2001.
"Projecting the Economic Impact of the Internet,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 313-317, May.
- repec:reg:rpubli:343 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joshua S. Gans & David H. Hsu & Scott Stern, 2002.
"When Does Start-Up Innovation Spur the Gale of Creative Destruction?,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(4), pages 571-586, Winter.
- Joshua S. Gans & David H. Hsu & Scott Stern, 2000. "When Does Start-Up Innovation Spur the Gale of Creative Destruction?," NBER Working Papers 7851, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wallsten, S.J., 2000. "Telecommunications Privatization in Developing Countries: The Real Effects of Exclusivity Periods," Papers 99-031, United Nations World Employment Programme-.
- Jussawalla, Meheroo, 1999. "The impact of ICT convergence on development in the Asian region," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 217-234, April.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2003. "The digital divide: understanding the economics of new information and communication technology in the global economy," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 173-199, June.
- Adel Ben Youssef & Ludovic Ragni, 2004. "Nouvelle Economie, Organisations et Modes de Coordination," Post-Print halshs-00730355, HAL.
- Mun, S-B. & Nadiri, M.I., 2002. "Information Technology Externalities: Empirical Evidence from 42 U.S. Industries," Working Papers 02-03, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Gruber, Harald, 2001. "Competition and innovation: The diffusion of mobile telecommunications in Central and Eastern Europe," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 19-34, March.
- Santangelo, Grazia D., 2001. "The impact of the information and communications technology revolution on the internationalisation of corporate technology," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 701-726, December.
- BEN YOUSSEF, Adel & M'HENNI, Hatem, 2003.
"Les effets des technologies de l'information et de communication sur la croissance économique; le cas de la Tunisie
[ICT contribution to growth; the case of tunisia]," MPRA Paper 27537, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Navaretti, Giorgio Barba & Tarr, David G, 2000. "International Knowledge Flows and Economic Performance: A Review of the Evidence," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Stiglitz, Joseph, 1999. "Promoting Competition in Telecommunications," UADE Working Papers 2_1999, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- MartinNeil Baily & Robert Z. Lawrence, 2001.
"Do We Have a New E-conomy?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 308-312, May.
- Shirley, Mary M. & Tusubira, F.F. & Gebreab, Frew & Haggarty, Luke, 2002. "Telecommunications reform in Uganda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2864, The World Bank.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
- Wang, Eunice Hsiao-hui, 1999. "ICT and economic development in Taiwan: analysis of the evidence," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 235-243, April.
- von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2003. "Historical coevolution of governance and technology in the industrial revolutions," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 365-384, December.
- W. Edward STEINMUELLER, 2001. "ICTs and the possibilities for leapfrogging by developing countries," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 140(2), pages 193-210, 06.
- Mansell, Robin, 1999. "Information and communication technologies for development: assessing the potential and the risks," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 35-50, February.
- Sung-Bae Mun & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 2002. "Information Technology Externalities: Empirical Evidence from 42 U.S. Industries," NBER Working Papers 9272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pohjola, Matti, 2002. "The New Economy: facts, impacts and policies," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 133-144, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.