Individual Adaptation to Climate Change: The Role of Information and Perceived Risk
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Osberghaus, Daniel & Finkel, Elyssa & Pohl, Max, 2010. "Individual adaptation to climate change: The role of information and perceived risk," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-061, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521700801 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Klein & Robert Nicholls & Nobuo Mimura, 1999. "Coastal Adaptation to Climate Change: Can the IPCC Technical Guidelines be applied?," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 239-252, September.
- Kelly C. de Bruin & Rob B. Dellink & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007.
"AD-DICE: an implementation of adaptation in the DICE model,"
FNU-126, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Feb 2007.
- Kelly C. de Bruin & Rob B. Dellink & Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "AD-DICE: An Implementation of Adaptation in the DICE Mode," Working Papers 2007.51, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- de Bruin, Kelly C. & Dellink, Rob B. & Tol, Richard S.J., 2007. "AD-DICE: An Implementation of Adaptation in the DICE Mode," Climate Change Modelling and Policy Working Papers 9548, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM).
- W.Neil Adger, 2001. "Scales of governance and environmental justice for adaptation and mitigation of climate change," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 921-931.
- Kunreuther, Howard, 1996. "Mitigating Disaster Losses through Insurance," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 12(2-3), pages 171-187, May.
- Elinor Ostrom, 2000. "Collective Action and the Evolution of Social Norms," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 137-158, Summer.
- Daniel Osberghaus & Astrid Dannenberg & Tim Mennel & Bodo Sturm, 2010.
"The Role of the Government in Adaptation to Climate Change,"
Environment and Planning C,
, vol. 28(5), pages 834-850, October.
- Daniel Osberghaus & Astrid Dannenberg & Tim Mennel & Bodo Sturm, 2010. "The role of the government in adaptation to climate change," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(5), pages 834-850, October.
- Andreoni, James, 1990. "Impure Altruism and Donations to Public Goods: A Theory of Warm-Glow Giving?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 464-477, June.
- Elinor Ostrom, 2014.
"A Polycentric Approach For Coping With Climate Change,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(1), pages 97-134, May.
- Elinor Ostrom, 2008. "A Polycentric Approach For Coping With Climate Change," CEMA Working Papers 578, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Ostrom, Elinor, 2009. "A polycentric approach for coping with climate change," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5095, The World Bank.
- Juan-Carlos Ciscar & Antonio Soria & Clare M. Goodess & Ole B. Christensen & Ana Iglesias & Luis Garrote & Marta Moneo & Sonia Quiroga & Luc Feyen & Rutger Dankers & Robert Nicholls & Julie Richards &, 2009. "Climate change impacts in Europe. Final report of the PESETA research project," JRC Working Papers JRC55391, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Gary T. Henry & Craig S. Gordon, 2003. "Driving less for better air: Impacts of a public information campaign," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 45-63.
- Torsten Grothmann & Fritz Reusswig, 2006. "People at Risk of Flooding: Why Some Residents Take Precautionary Action While Others Do Not," Natural Hazards: Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, Springer;International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 38(1), pages 101-120, May.
- Hollander, Heinz, 1990. "A Social Exchange Approach to Voluntary Cooperation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1157-1167, December.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-632, Nov.-Dec..
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elster, Jon, 1989. "Social Norms and Economic Theory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 99-117, Fall.
- Andreoni, James, 1988. "Privately provided public goods in a large economy: The limits of altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-73, February.
- David Etkin & Elise Ho, 2007. "Climate Change: Perceptions and Discourses of Risk," Journal of Risk Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 623-641, July.
- Paul M. Kellstedt & Sammy Zahran & Arnold Vedlitz, 2008. "Personal Efficacy, the Information Environment, and Attitudes Toward Global Warming and Climate Change in the United States," Risk Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 28(1), pages 113-126, February.
- S. Fankhauser & R. Tol, 1997. "The social costs of climate change: The IPCC second assessment report and beyond," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 385-403, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Menny, Claas & Osberghaus, Daniel & Pohl, Max & Werner, Ute, 2011. "General knowledge about climate change, factors influencing risk perception and willingness to insure," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-060, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Hoa Dang & Elton Li & Johan Bruwer & Ian Nuberg, 2014. "Farmers’ perceptions of climate variability and barriers to adaptation: lessons learned from an exploratory study in Vietnam," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 19(5), pages 531-548, June.
- Claudia Schwirplies & Andreas Ziegler, 2013. "Are German Tourists Environmental Chameleons? A Micro-econometric Analysis of Adaptation to Climate Change," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201334, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Hoa Dang & Elton Li & Ian Nuberg & Johan Bruwer, 2014. "Farmers’ assessments of private adaptive measures to climate change and influential factors: a study in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam," Natural Hazards: Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, Springer;International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 71(1), pages 385-401, March.
- repec:mar:magkse:20134 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:11:y:2019:i:10:p:2993-:d:234619 is not listed on IDEAS
- Morena Mills & Konar Mutafoglu & Vanessa M. Adams & Carla Archibald & Justine Bell & Javier X. Leon, 2016. "Perceived and projected flood risk and adaptation in coastal Southeast Queensland, Australia," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 523-537, June.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:10:y:2018:i:4:p:1133-:d:140357 is not listed on IDEAS
- Heuson, Clemens & Gawel, Erik & Gebhardt, Oliver & Hansjürgens, Bernd & Lehmann, Paul & Meyer, Volker & Schwarze, Reimund, 2012. "Fundamental questions on the economics of climate adaptation: Outlines of a new research programme," UFZ Reports 05/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ).
- Heuson, Clemens & Gawel, Erik & Gebhardt, Oliver & Hansjürgens, Bernd & Lehmann, Paul & Meyer, Volker & Schwarze, Reimund, 2012. "Ökonomische Grundfragen der Klimaanpassung: Umrisse eines neuen Forschungsprogramms," UFZ Reports 02/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ).
More about this item
Keywordsindividual adaptation; perceived risk; adaptation motivation; spatial-temporal distance; information; protection motivation theory;
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search; Learning; Information and Knowledge; Communication; Belief; Unawareness
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters and their Management; Global Warming
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-11-20 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2010-11-20 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-11-20 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2010-11-20 (Microeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.