Does bank supervision impact nonperforming loans : cross-country determinants using agregate data ?
The paper empirically analyses the cross-countries determinants of nonperforming loans and the potential impact of regulatory factors on credit risk exposure. We employ aggregate banking, financial, economic and legal environment data for a panel of 59 countries over the period 2002-2006. Empirical results indicate that higher capital adequacy ratio and prudent provisionning policy seem to reduce the level of problem loans. We also report a desirable impact of private ownership, foreign participation and bank concentration. Our findings do not support the view that market discipline leads to better economic outcomes and to reduce the level of problem loans. In contrast, all regulatory devices either exert a counterproductive impact on bad loans or do not significantly enhance credit risk exposure for countries with weak institutions, corrupt business environment and little democracy.Our results are interesting for regulators, bankers and investors as well. To reduce credit risk exposure, the effective way to do it is through enhancing the legal system, strengthening institutions and increasing transparency and democracy, rather than focusing only on regulatory and supervisory issues.
|Date of creation:||19 Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Besanko, David & Kanatas, George, 1996. "The Regulation of Bank Capital: Do Capital Standards Promote Bank Safety?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 160-183, April.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2005.
"Bank Supervision and Corruption in Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
11498, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Novaes, Walter & Werlang, Sergio, 1995.
"Inflationary bias and state-owned financial institutions,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 135-154, June.
- Novaes Filho, Walter & Werlang, Sérgio Ribeiro da Costa, 1994. "Inflationary bias and state owned financial institutions," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 242, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- James R. Barth & Gerard Caprio, Jr. & Ross Levine, 2002.
"Bank Regulation and Supervision: What Works Best?,"
NBER Working Papers
9323, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr., Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001. "Bank regulation and supervision : what works best?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2725, The World Bank.
- Breuer, Janice Boucher, 2006. "Problem bank loans, conflicts of interest, and institutions," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 266-285, October.
- Sobel, Andrew C., 2003. "National governance and global lending," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 287-304.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Wall, Larry D., 2003.
"Determinants of the loan loss allowance : some cross-country comparisons,"
Research Discussion Papers
33/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Larry D. Wall, 2004. "Determinants of the Loan Loss Allowance: Some Cross-Country Comparisons," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 129-152, 02.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Larry D. Wall, 2004. "Determinants of the loan loss allowance: some cross-country comparisons," Finance 0404018, EconWPA.
- Tsebelis, George, 1995. "Decision Making in Political Systems: Veto Players in Presidentialism, Parliamentarism, Multicameralism and Multipartyism," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 289-325, July.
- Boubakri, Narjess & Cosset, Jean-Claude & Guedhami, Omrane, 2005. "Postprivatization corporate governance: The role of ownership structure and investor protection," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 369-399, May.
- Finkel, Steve E. & Sabatini, Christopher A. & Bevis, Gwendolyn G., 2000. "Civic Education, Civil Society, and Political Mistrust in a Developing Democracy: The Case of the Dominican Republic," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 1851-1874, November.
- Rita Babihuga, 2007. "Macroeconomic and Financial Soundness Indicators; An Empirical Investigation," IMF Working Papers 07/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt, 2006.
"Banking on the Principles; Compliance with Basel Core Principles and Bank Soundness,"
IMF Working Papers
06/242, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, AslI & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2008. "Banking on the principles: Compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 511-542, October.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2006. "Banking on the principles : compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3954, The World Bank.
- Helliwell, John F., 1994.
"Empirical Linkages Between Democracy and Economic Growth,"
British Journal of Political Science,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 225-248, April.
- John F. Helliwell, 1992. "Empirical Linkages Between Democracy and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 4066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2008.
"Governance matters VII : aggregate and individual governance indicators 1996-2007,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4654, The World Bank.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2007. "Governance Matters VI: Aggregate and Individual Governance Indicators, 1996-2006," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4280, The World Bank.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2009. "Governance matters VIII : aggregate and individual governance indicators 1996-2008," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4978, The World Bank.
- Vicente Salas & Jesús Saurina, 2002. "Credit Risk in Two Institutional Regimes: Spanish Commercial and Savings Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 22(3), pages 203-224, December.
- Alberto Alesina & Dani Rodrik, 1991.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc G Quintyn & Eva H. G. HÃ¼pkes & Michael W Taylor, 2006. "Accountability Arrangements for Financial Sector Regulators," IMF Economic Issues 39, International Monetary Fund.
- Simon Kwan & Robert Eisenbeis, 1997. "Bank Risk, Capitalization, and Operating Efficiency," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 12(2), pages 117-131, October.
- Fotios Pasiouras & Chrysovalantis Gaganis & Constantin Zopounidis, 2006. "The impact of bank regulations, supervision, market structure, and bank characteristics on individual bank ratings: A cross-country analysis," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 403-438, December.
- Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels, 2004. "The short-term effects of foreign bank entry on domestic bank behaviour: Does economic development matter?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 553-568, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18068. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.