Religious faith and agricultural growth: exploring some correlations in Africa
This study investigates the relationship between religious beliefs and agricultural growth in Africa. Empirical analyses are undertaken using panel data of a representative sample of 26 countries, covering the period 1970-2000. The countries analyzed were classified into three groups; countries with a majority of Christian believers, those with a majority of Muslims and those where there are more who follow indigenous beliefs. Results generally indicate a non-neutral effect of religious on agricultural growth. The results accord with perspectives in which classic religions influence traits that enhance agricultural performance, particularly through technological progress. The conclusion draws implications from the findings and highlights areas needing further scrutiny.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D.S. Prasada Rao & Christopher J. O'Donnell & George E. Battese, 2003. "Metafrontier Functions for the Study of Inter-regional Productivity Differences," CEPA Working Papers Series WP012003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin & Bingxin Yu, 2005.
"Institutions and Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2004. "Institutions and agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 169-180, December.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2003. "Institutions And Agricultural Productivity In Sub-Sahara Africa," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25818, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1997.
"LDC agriculture: Nonparametric Malmquist productivity indexes,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 373-390, August.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 2005. "LDC Agriculture: Non-parametric Malmquist productivity indexes," Development and Comp Systems 0502025, EconWPA.
- Nuthall, P. L., 2001. "Managerial ability -- a review of its basis and potential improvement using psychological concepts," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 247-262, March.
- Guy Nkamleu, 2004.
"Productivity Growth, Technical Progress and Efficiency Change in African Agriculture,"
African Development Review,
African Development Bank, vol. 16(1), pages 203-222.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise, 2003. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress and Efficiency Change in African Agriculture," MPRA Paper 11380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ohlmer, Bo & Olson, Kent & Brehmer, Berndt, 1998. "Understanding farmers' decision making processes and improving managerial assistance," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 18(3), May.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise, 2004.
"L’echec de la croissance de la productivite agricole en afrique francophone
[Failure of agricultural productivity growth in African French speaking countries]," MPRA Paper 15104, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guy Blaise Nkamleu, 2004. "L'échec de la croissance de la productivité agricole en Afrique francophone," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 279(1), pages 53-65.
- Ohlmer, Bo & Olson, Kent & Brehmer, Berndt, 1998. "Understanding farmers' decision making processes and improving managerial assistance," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 273-290, May.
- McCleary, Rachel & Barro, Robert, 2003. "Religion and Economic Growth across Countries," Scholarly Articles 3708464, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Don & Butzer, Ritz, 1997. "The determinants of agricultural production : a cross-country analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1827, The World Bank.
- Joachim Binam Nyemeck & Guy Blaise Nkamleu, 2006. "Potentiel de Productivité et Efficacité Technique du Secteur Agricole en Afrique," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(3), pages 361-377, 09.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise & Nyemeck, Joachim & Sanogo, Diakalia, 2006. "Metafrontier Analysis of Technology Gap and Productivity Difference in African Agriculture," MPRA Paper 15103, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nuthall, P.L., 2001. "Managerial ability - a review of its basis and potential improvement using psychological concepts," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 24(3), March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.