Metafrontier Analysis of Technology Gap and Productivity Difference in African Agriculture
Agricultural productivity in Africa from 1971 to 2000 is examined using the recently developed metafrontier function technique, for the purpose of studying differences in efficiency and technology gap across different regions of the continent. The results support the view that technology gap plays an important part in explaining the ability of agricultural sectors in one region to compete with agricultural sectors in different regions in Africa. The study has also evidenced that average technical efficiency score of the agricultural sector has been almost stable over time, while a marginal decrease of the productivity potential over the 30 years period was observed.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agriculture and Food Economics 2.1(2006): pp. 111-120|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guy Blaise Nkamleu, 2004.
"L'échec de la croissance de la productivité agricole en Afrique francophone,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 279(1), pages 53-65.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise, 2004.
"L’echec de la croissance de la productivite agricole en afrique francophone
[Failure of agricultural productivity growth in African French speaking countries]," MPRA Paper 15104, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise, 2004. "L’echec de la croissance de la productivite agricole en afrique francophone
- Hayami, Yujiro & Ruttan, Vernon W, 1970. "Agricultural Productivity Differences Among Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 895-911, December.
- Guy Nkamleu, 2004.
"Productivity Growth, Technical Progress and Efficiency Change in African Agriculture,"
African Development Review,
African Development Bank, vol. 16(1), pages 203-222.
- Nkamleu, Guy Blaise, 2003. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress and Efficiency Change in African Agriculture," MPRA Paper 11380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- World Bank, 2000. "Can Africa Claim the 21st Century?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 22962.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1998.
"Agricultural productivity in developing countries,"
Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 45-51, September.
- Joachim Binam Nyemeck & Guy Blaise Nkamleu, 2006. "Potentiel de Productivité et Efficacité Technique du Secteur Agricole en Afrique," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(3), pages 361-377, 09.
- D.S. Prasada Rao & Christopher J. O'Donnell & George E. Battese, 2003. "Metafrontier Functions for the Study of Inter-regional Productivity Differences," CEPA Working Papers Series WP012003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.