Strategies D'Insertion Et Duree D'Acces Au Premier Emploi
[Job search strategies and unemployment duration before the first job]
This paper aims at estimating the impact of search strategies (effort and search channels) on unemployment duration. A two-step microeconometric application is used. First, the choice process of search strategies (number and type of search media used) is analysed. Second, competing risk models are estimated in order to evaluate the compared efficiency of search strategies. Results conclude to the endogeneity of the search strategies choice and to strong impacts of effort and search media on the first job access duration, according to the type of job found. This article proposes an interpretation of the firm as a bundle of interacting communities, in the perspective of the knowledge-based economy. It focuses on the examination of the forms of voluntary co-operative exchange in the communities and the emergence of collective beliefs and corporate culture. Thus, the particular analysis of the community level, by bringing additional dimensions of creation, validation and diffusion of knowledge, is a complement to the traditional modes of co-ordination of the firm.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Publication status:||Published in Reuve d'Economie Politique 5.113(2003): pp. 671-696|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Benhabib, Jess & Bull, Clive, 1983. "Job Search: The Choice of Intensity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(5), pages 747-764, October.
- Harry J. Holzer, 1986. "Informal Job Search and Black Youth Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 1860, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devine, T. J. & Kiefer, N. M., 1995.
"The empirical status of job search theory,"
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 101-101, March.
- Devine, Theresa J. & Kiefer, Nicholas M., 1993. "The empirical status of job search theory," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-24, June.
- Devine, T.J. & Kiefer, N.M., 1990. "The Empirical Status Of Job Search Theory," Papers 4-90-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Devine, Theresa J. & Kiefer, Nicolas M., 1991. "Empirical Labor Economics: The Search Approach," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195059366.
- Bull, Clive & Ornati, Oscar & Tedeschi, Piero, 1987. "Search, Hiring Strategies, and Labor Market Intermediaries," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(4), pages 1-17, October.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. Van Den Berg, 2007. "The unobserved heterogeneity distribution in duration analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(1), pages 87-99.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2006. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-059/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2007. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 6219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christofides, Louis N & McKenna, C J, 1996. "Unemployment Insurance and Job Duration in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(2), pages 286-312, April.
- Liliane Bonnal & Denis Fougère & Anne Sérandon, 1997. "Evaluating the Impact of French Employment Policies on Individual Labour Market Histories," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 683-713.
- Jones, Stephen R G, 1989. "Job Research Methods, Intensity and Effects," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(3), pages 277-296, August.
- Ahn, Namkee & Ugidos-Olazabal, Arantza, 1995. "Duration of Unemployment in Spain: Relative Effects of Unemployment Benefit and Family Characteristics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(2), pages 249-264, May.
- Heckman, James J. & Robb, Richard Jr., 1985. "Alternative methods for evaluating the impact of interventions : An overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 239-267.
- Adnett, N J, 1987. "State Employment Agencies and Labour Market Efficiency," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 183-196, September.
- Belzil, Christian, 1996. "Relative Efficiencies and Comparative Advantages in Job Search," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(1), pages 154-173, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.