Physician Payment Mechanisms, Hospital Length of Stay and Risk of Readmission: a Natural Experiment
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Damien Échevin & Bernard Fortin, 2011. "Physician Payment Mechanisms, Hospital Length of Stay and Risk of Readmission: a Natural Experiment," Cahiers de recherche 1112, CIRPEE.
References listed on IDEAS
- Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy & Drolet, Simon, 2004. "Welfare benefits and the duration of welfare spells: evidence from a natural experiment in Canada," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(7-8), pages 1495-1520, July.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990. "Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-782, July.
- Jack Hadley & James Reschovsky, 2006. "Medicare fees and physicians’ medicare service volume: Beneficiaries treated and services per beneficiary," International Journal of Health Economics and Management, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 131-150, June.
- Christopher Ferrall & Allan W. Gregory & William Tholl, 1998.
"Endogenous Work Hours and Practice Patterns of Canadian Physicians,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Ferrall, Christopher & Gregory, Allan W. & Tholl, William G., 1997. "Endogenous Work Hours and Practice Patterns of Canadian Physicians," Queen's Institute for Economic Research Discussion Papers 273331, Queen's University - Department of Economics.
- Gary S. Becker & H. Gregg Lewis, 1974.
"Interaction between Quantity and Quality of Children,"
NBER Chapters, in: Economics of the Family: Marriage, Children, and Human Capital, pages 81-90,
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S & Lewis, H Gregg, 1973. "On the Interaction between the Quantity and Quality of Children," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(2), pages 279-288, Part II, .
- Blundell, Richard & Macurdy, Thomas, 1999. "Labor supply: A review of alternative approaches," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 27, pages 1559-1695, Elsevier.
- Dumont, Etienne & Fortin, Bernard & Jacquemet, Nicolas & Shearer, Bruce, 2008.
"Physicians' multitasking and incentives: Empirical evidence from a natural experiment,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1436-1450, December.
- Dumont, Etienne & Fortin, Bernard & Jacquemet, Nicolas & Shearer, Bruce S., 2007. "Physicians' Multitasking and Incentives: Empirical Evidence from a Natural Experiment," IZA Discussion Papers 3229, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Etienne Dumont & Bernard Fortin & Nicolas Jacquemet & Bruce Shearer, 2008. "Physicians' Multitasking and Incentives: Empirical Evidence from a Natural Experiment," CIRANO Working Papers 2008s-20, CIRANO.
- Etienne Dumont & Bernard Fortin & Nicolas Jacquemet & Bruce Shearer, 2008. "Physicians' Multitasking and Incentives: Empirical Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00305308, HAL.
- Etienne Dumont & Bernard Fortin & Nicolas Jacquemet & Bruce Shearer, 2007. "Physicians' Multitasking and Incentives: Empirical Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Cahiers de recherche 0745, CIRPEE.
- J Hurley & R Labelle & T Rice, 1990. "The Relationship Between Physician Fees and the Utilization of Medical Services in Ontario," Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis Working Paper Series 1990-04, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis (CHEPA), McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
- Blomquist, N Soren, 1989. "Comparative Statics for Utility Maximization Models with Nonlinear Budget Constraints," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(2), pages 275-296, May.
- Gabriel Picone & R. Mark Wilson & Shin-Yi Chou, 2003. "Analysis of hospital length of stay and discharge destination using hazard functions with unmeasured heterogeneity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(12), pages 1021-1034.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. Van Den Berg, 2007.
"The unobserved heterogeneity distribution in duration analysis,"
Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(1), pages 87-99.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2006. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-059/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2007. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 6219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cutler, David M, 1995.
"The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes under Prospective Payment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 29-50, January.
- Cutler, D.M., 1992. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcome Under Prospective Payment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1603, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David M. Cutler, 1993. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes Under Prospective Payments," NBER Working Papers 4300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ma, Ching-to Albert & McGuire, Thomas G, 1997. "Optimal Health Insurance and Provider Payment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 685-704, September.
- Chalkley, Martin & Malcomson, James M., 2000. "Government purchasing of health services," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 847-890, Elsevier.
- Yunker, James A., 1979. "Variety, equity and efficiency: Product variety in an industrial society : By Kelvin Lancaster. New York: Columbia University Press, 1979. Pp. 373, Price: $22.50," Journal of Behavioral Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 195-197.
- Ellis, Randall P. & Ruhm, Christopher J., 1988. "Incentives to transfer patients under alternative reimbursement mechanisms," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 381-394, December.
- Jason Barro & Nancy Beaulieu, 2003. "Selection and Improvement: Physician Responses to Financial Incentives," NBER Working Papers 10017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devlin, Rose Anne & Sarma, Sisira, 2008. "Do physician remuneration schemes matter? The case of Canadian family physicians," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1168-1181, September.
- Gaynor, Martin & Pauly, Mark V, 1990. "Compensation and Productive Efficiency of Partnerships: Evidence from Medical Group Practice," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 544-573, June.
- B Hutchison & S Birch & J Hurley & J Lomas & F Stratford-Devai, 1994. "Do Physician Payment Mechanisms Affect Hospital Utilization? A Study of Health Service Organizations in Ontario," Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis Working Paper Series 1994-02, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis (CHEPA), McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
More about this item
KeywordsPhysician payment mechanisms; mixed compensation; hospital length of stay; risk of re-hospitalisation; duration model; natural experiment.; Mécanismes de rémunération des médecins; rémunération mixte; durée du séjour à de l'hôpital de séjour; risque de re-hospitalisation.;
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Behavior
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HEA-2011-05-14 (Health Economics)
- NEP-HRM-2011-05-14 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-IAS-2011-05-14 (Insurance Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cir:cirwor:2011s-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ciranca.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.