How far from Just-in-time are Portuguese firms? A survey of its progress and perception
As competition increases, Just-in-Time (JIT) manufacturing becomes an important issue in Portuguese industry. After a brief review of its history, elements, advantages and limitations, this paper presents the results of a postal questionnaire survey about JIT system sent to a sample of manufacturing firms in Portugal, with the aim of determining the degree of development, perception and status of JIT production in Portuguese industries. The findings suggest that the surveyed firms have a basic JIT perspective: a tool to reduce inventories, to increase quality and to eliminate waste. Despite the good perception of the JIT concept, less than 6% of the firms surveyed have the necessary conditions to successfully implement a JIT system.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200 PORTO|
Web page: http://www.fep.up.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tucker, Marvin W. & Davis, David A., 1993. "Key ingredients for successful implementation of just-in-time: a system for all business sizes," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 59-65.
- Currie, W. L., 1999. "Revisiting management innovation and change programmes: strategic vision or tunnel vision?," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 647-660, December.
- Chhikara, Jitendra & Weiss, Elliott N., 1995. "JIT savings--myth or reality?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 73-78.
- Kannan, Vijay R. & Tan, Keah Choon, 2005. "Just in time, total quality management, and supply chain management: understanding their linkages and impact on business performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 153-162, April.
- Pragman, Claudia H., 1996. "JIT II: A purchasing concept for reducing lead times in time-based competition," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 54-58.
- Wu Min & Low Sui Pheng, 2005. "Economic order quantity (EOQ) versus just-in-time (JIT) purchasing: an alternative analysis in the ready-mixed concrete industry," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(4), pages 409-422.
- Cusumano, Michael A., 1954- & Takeishi, Akira, 1958-., 1991. "Supplier relations and management : a survey of Japanese, Japanese-transplant, and U.S. auto plants," Working papers 3256-91., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Low Sui Pheng & Wu Min, 2005. "Just-in-time management in the ready mixed concrete industries of Chongqing, China and Singapore," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(8), pages 815-829.
- De Toni, Alberto & Nassimbeni, Guido, 2000. "Just-in-time purchasing: an empirical study of operational practices, supplier development and performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 631-651, December.
- Cheng, TCE, 1988. "The just-in-time production: A survey of its development and perception in the Hong Kong electronics industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 25-32.
- Shirley J Daniel & Wolf D Reitsperger, 1991. "Management Control Systems for J.I.T.: An Empirical Comparison of Japan and the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 603-617, December.
- Thomas, R & Oliver, N, 1991. "Components supplier patterns in the UK motor industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 609-616.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.