Economic Growth and Wage Stagnation in Perú: 1998-2012
In the last two decades, the Peruvian economy exhibited rapid growth. Moreover, the composition of the labor force improved in terms of education and experience, two variables which are typically associated to higher human capital. The average worker in 2012 had a higher level of education and was one and a half years older than in 1998, reflecting the impact of the demographic transition. However, the average real wage was roughly constant. We show that a decline in the wage premium for education, and to a minor extent for experience, is responsible for the lack of growth in the average real wage. Had these two premia remained constant throughout the period of analysis, average labor earnings would have increased by about 2.6 percent per year, of which 0.7 percentage points are accounted for the changes in the composition of the labor force in terms of age and education. We explore the role of the relative supply of workers with different levels of human capital as an explanation for the decline in the wage premium for education. Finally, we analyze the implications of these findings for some macroeconomic variables, as earnings and wage inequality, the labor share and total factor productivity. JEL Classification-JEL: I24, J21, J24, J31, O47
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Universitaria 1801, San Miguel, Lima, Perú|
Phone: (511) 626-2000 ext. 4950, 4951
Fax: (511) 626-2874
Web page: http://departamento.pucp.edu.pe/economia/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nora Lustig, Luis F. Lopez-Calva, Eduardo Ortiz-Juarez, 2012.
"Declining Inequality in Latin America in the 2000s: The Cases of Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico,"
307, Center for Global Development.
- Lustig, Nora & Lopez-Calva, Luis F. & Ortiz-Juarez, Eduardo, 2013. "Declining Inequality in Latin America in the 2000s: The Cases of Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 129-141.
- Lustig, Nora & Lopez-Calva, Luis F. & Ortiz-Juarez, Eduardo, 2012. "Declining inequality in Latin America in the 2000s : the cases of Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6248, The World Bank.
- Nora Lustig & Luis F. Lopez-Calva & Eduardo Ortiz-Juarez, 2012. "Declining Inequality in Latin America in the 2000s: the Cases of Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico," Working Papers 266, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Nora Lustig & Luis F. Lopez-Calva & Eduardo Ortiz-Juarez, 2012. "Declining Inequality in Latin America in the 2000s: The Cases of Argentina, Brazil, and Mexico," Working Papers 1218, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Yamada, Gustavo & Castro, Juan & Bacigalupo, José, 2012.
"Desigualdad monetaria en un contexto de rápido crecimiento económico: El caso reciente del Perú,"
Revista Estudios Económicos,
Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 24, pages 65-77.
- Gustavo Yamada & Juan Castro & José Bacigalupo, 2012. "Desigualdad monetaria en un contexto de rápido crecimiento económico: El caso reciente del Perú," Working Papers 12-01, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, revised Apr 2012.
- Norman V. Loayza, 2008. "El crecimiento económico en el perú," Revista Economía, Fondo Editorial de la Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, issue 61, pages 9-25.
- Brent Neiman, 2014.
"The Global Decline of the Labor Share,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 129(1), pages 61-103.
- Ledesma, Alan, 2010. "Crecimiento Potencial y Productividad de Factores," Revista Moneda, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 145, pages 4-8.
- Douglas Gollin, 2001.
"Getting Income Shares Right,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2001-11, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Christian Daude & Eduardo Fernández-Arias, 2010.
"On the Role of Productivity and Factor Accumulation in Economic Development in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6782, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Christian Daude & Eduardo Fernandez-Arias, 2010. "On the Role of Productivity and Factor Accumulation in Economic Development in Latin America and the Caribbean," Research Department Publications 4653, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Christian Daude & Eduardo Fernández-Arias, 2010. "On the Role of Productivity and Factor Accumulation in Economic Development in Latin America and the Caribbean," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 290, OECD Publishing.
- Waldo Mendoza & Janneth Leyva & José Luis Flor, 2011. "La distribución del ingreso en el Perú: 1980-2010," Capítulos de Libros PUCP / Chapters of PUCP books, in: Javier M.Iguíñiz Echevarría & Janina León (ed.), Desigualdad Distributiva en el Perú: Dimensiones, edition 1, chapter 2, pages 57-112 Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Arjun Jayadev, 2010. "The Declining Labor Share of Income," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-36, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Benjamin F. Jones, 2011. "The Human Capital Stock: A Generalized Approach," NBER Working Papers 17487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cristian Aedo & Ian Walker, 2012. "Skills for the 21st Century in Latin America and the Caribbean," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2236, July.
- Miguel Jaramillo & Jaime Saavedra, 2011. "Menos desiguales: la distribución del ingreso luego de las reformas estructurales," Documentos de Investigación dt59, Grupo de Análisis para el Desarrollo (GRADE).
- Juan Castro & Gustavo Yamada, 2012. "“Convexification” and “Deconvexification” of the Peruavian Wage Profile: A Tale of Declining Education Quality," Working Papers 12-02, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, revised Apr 2012.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:129:y:2013:i:1:p:61-103 is not listed on IDEAS
- Katz, Lawrence F. & Autor, David H., 1999. "Changes in the wage structure and earnings inequality," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1463-1555 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pcp:pucwps:wp00372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.