Measuring and Decomposing the Distance to the Shapley Wage Function with Limited Data
We study the Shapley wage function, a wage scheme in which a worker's pay depends both on the number of hours worked and on the output of the firm. We then provide a way to measure the distance of an arbitrary wage scheme to this function in limited datasets. In particular, for a fixed technology and a given supply of labor, this distance is additively decomposable into violations of the classical axioms of efficiency, equal treatment of identical workers, and marginality. The findings have testable implications for the different ways in which popular wage schemes violate basic properties of distributive justice in market organizations. Applications to the linear contract and to other well-known compensation schemes are shown.
|Date of creation:||2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 450, Station A, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5|
Phone: (613) 562-5753
Fax: (613) 562-5999
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.uottawa.ca/eco/eng/index.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geoffroy de Clippel & Kareen Rozen, 2013.
"Fairness through the Lens of Cooperative Game Theory: An Experimental Approach,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1925, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geoffroy De Clippel & Kareen Rozen, 2014. "Fairness Through the Lens of Cooperative Game Theory: An Experimental Approach," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000904, David K. Levine.
- Khmelnitskaya, Anna B., 1999. "Marginalist and efficient values for TU games," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 45-54, July.
- Geoffroy de Clippel & Roberto Serrano, 2008. "Marginal Contributions and Externalities in the Value," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1413-1436, November.
- Geoffroy de Clippel & Roberto Serrano, 2005. "Marginal Contributions and Externalities in the Value," Working Papers 2005-11, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Serrano, Roberto & Clippel, Geoffroy de, 2005. "Marginal contributions and externalities in the value," UC3M Working papers. Economics we057339, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Geoffroy de Clippel & Roberto Serrano, 2007. "Marginal contributions and externalities in the value," Working Papers 2007-04, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Roth, Alvin, 2012. "The Shapley Value as a von Neumann-Morgenstern Utility," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 6, pages 1-9.
- Roth, Alvin E, 1977. "The Shapley Value as a von Neumann-Morgenstern Utility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 657-664, April.
- Moulin, Herve, 1992. "An Application of the Shapley Value to Fair Division with Money," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(6), pages 1331-1349, November.
- Hawkins, William B. & Acemoglu, Daron, 2014. "Search with multi-worker firms," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 9(3), September.
- Lars A. Stole & Jeffrey Zwiebel, 1996. "Intra-firm Bargaining under Non-binding Contracts," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(3), pages 375-410.
- L. S. Shapley & Martin Shubik, 1967. "Ownership and the Production Function," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 81(1), pages 88-111.