Regulated Prices, Rent-Seeking, and Consumer Surplus
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Jeremy Bulow & Paul Klemperer, 2012. "Regulated Prices, Rent Seeking, and Consumer Surplus," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(1), pages 160-186.
References listed on IDEAS
- Palda, Filip, 2000.
"Some deadweight losses from the minimum wage: the cases of full and partial compliance,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 751-783, November.
- Filip Palda, 2001. "Some Deadweight Losses from the Minimum Wage: The Cases of Full and Partial Compliance," Labor and Demography 0112001, EconWPA.
- Mark Bagnoli & Ted Bergstrom, 2005. "Log-concave probability and its applications," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(2), pages 445-469, August.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S. & Gonzalez-Minguez, Jose M., 2005.
"Exchange-rate pass-through to import prices in the euro area,"
IESE Research Papers
D/609, IESE Business School.
- José M. Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & José M. González-Mínguez, 2005. "Exchange rate pass through to import prices in the euro area," Working Papers 0538, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & Jose M. Gonzalez-Minguez, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to import prices in the Euro area," Staff Reports 219, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S. & González Mìnguez, Jose Manuel, 2005. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 5347, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & José M. González-Mínguez, 2005. "Exchange-Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices in the Euro Area," NBER Working Papers 11632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2005. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 679-690, November.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1998.
"Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-369, June.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1995. "Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization," Working Papers 95-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Harrington & John M. Vernon, 2005. "Economics of Regulation and Antitrust, 4th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 4, volume 1, number 026222075x, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1981. "Optimal Auction Design," Mathematics of Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 58-73, February.
- Welch, Finis, 1974. "Minimum Wage Legislation in the United States," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(3), pages 285-318, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Bennett & Ioana Chioveanu, 2017.
"The optimal minimum wage with regulatory uncertainty,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 19(6), pages 1099-1116, December.
- Bennett, John & Chioveanu, Ioana, 2015. "The Optimal Minimum Wage with Regulatory Uncertainty," IZA Discussion Papers 9576, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andersson, Tommy & Yang, Zaifu & Zhang, Dongmo, 2015.
"How to efficiently allocate houses under price controls?,"
Elsevier, vol. 130(C), pages 97-99.
- Andersson , Tommy & Yang , Zaifu & Zhang , Dongmo, 2014. "How to Efficiently Allocate Houses under Price Controls?," Working Papers 2014:24, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Tommy Andersson & Zaifu Yang & Dongmo Zhang, 2014. "How to Efficiently Allocate Houses under Price Controls?," Discussion Papers 14/05, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2016. "Multiproduct Pricing Made Simple," MPRA Paper 68717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aditya Bhave & Eric Budish, 2017. "Primary-Market Auctions for Event Tickets: Eliminating the Rents of 'Bob the Broker'?," NBER Working Papers 23770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ritz, Robert, 2016. "Oligopolistic competition and welfare," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1680, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Radygin, Alexander & Entov, Revold, 2013. ""Fundamental" theorem of privatization: ideology, evolution, practice," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, pages 7-45, December.
- Chen Ling & David Scrogin, 2014.
"Optimal pricing of public lotteries and comparison of competing mechanisms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(26), pages 3211-3223, September.
- David Scrogin & Chen Ling, 2012. "Optimal Pricing of Public Lotteries and Comparison of Competing Mechanisms," Working Papers 2012-05, University of Central Florida, Department of Economics.
- David H. Autor & Christopher J. Palmer & Parag A. Pathak, 2014.
"Housing Market Spillovers: Evidence from the End of Rent Control in Cambridge, Massachusetts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 122(3), pages 661-717.
- David H. Autor & Christopher J. Palmer & Parag A. Pathak, 2012. "Housing Market Spillovers: Evidence from the End of Rent Control in Cambridge Massachusetts," NBER Working Papers 18125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iñaki Aguirre & Simon G. Cowan, 2015.
"Monopoly price discrimination with constant elasticity demand,"
Economic Theory Bulletin,
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 3(2), pages 329-340, October.
- Aguirre Pérez, Iñaki & Cowan, Simon George, 2013. "Monopoly price discrimination with constant elasticity demand," IKERLANAK Ikerlanak;2013-74, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Peter Neary & Monika Mrazova, 2013. "Not so demanding: Preference structure, firm behavior, and welfare," Economics Series Working Papers 691, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- repec:bla:randje:v:48:y:2017:i:2:p:467-484 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gabaix, Xavier & Laibson, David & Li, Deyuan & Li, Hongyi & Resnick, Sidney & de Vries, Casper G., 2016.
"The impact of competition on prices with numerous firms,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 165(C), pages 1-24.
- Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson & Deyuan Li & Hongyi Li & Sidney Resnick & Casper G. de Vries, 2013. "The Impact of Competition on Prices with Numerous Firms," Working Papers 13-07, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Zhu Wang & Julian Wright, 2012. "Ad-valorem platform fees and efficient price discrimination," Working Paper 12-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Kevin K. Tsui, 2016. "The Upside-down Economics of Regulated and Otherwise Rigid Prices," NBER Working Papers 22305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herings P.J.J., 2015. "Equilibrium and matching under price controls," Research Memorandum 001, Maastricht University, Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE).
- repec:eee:pubeco:v:153:y:2017:i:c:p:56-68 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bennett, John & Chioveanu, Ioana, 2016. "Pro-Consumer Price Ceilings under Regulatory Uncertainty," MPRA Paper 72161, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark A. C. Kattenberg & Wolter H. J. Hassink, 2017. "Who Moves Out of Social Housing? The Effect of Rent Control on Housing Tenure Choice," De Economist, Springer, vol. 165(1), pages 43-66, March.
- Aart Gerritsen, 2016. "How Many Harberger Triangles Does it Take to Fill one Okun Gap?," Working Papers tax-mpg-rps-2016-05, Max Planck Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance.
- Alexander Radygin & Revold Entov, 2014. "The Fundamental Privatization Theorem: Ideology, Evolution, Practice," Working Papers 0087, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2014.
More about this item
KeywordsPrice Control; Rationing; Allocative Efficiency; Microeconomic Theory; Marginal Revenue; Minimum Wage; Rent Control; Consumer Welfare; Rent Seeking;
- D45 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Rationing; Licensing
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-06-25 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2012-06-25 (Microeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nuf:econwp:1203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett). General contact details of provider: https://www.nuffield.ox.ac.uk/economics/ .