Regulated Prices, Rent-Seeking, and Consumer Surplus
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Jeremy Bulow & Paul Klemperer, 2012. "Regulated Prices, Rent Seeking, and Consumer Surplus," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(1), pages 160-186.
References listed on IDEAS
- Mark Bagnoli & Ted Bergstrom, 2005. "Log-concave probability and its applications," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(2), pages 445-469, August.
- Palda, Filip, 2000.
"Some deadweight losses from the minimum wage: the cases of full and partial compliance,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(6), pages 751-783, November.
- Filip Palda, 2001. "Some Deadweight Losses from the Minimum Wage: The Cases of Full and Partial Compliance," Labor and Demography 0112001, EconWPA.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S. & Gonzalez-Minguez, Jose M., 2005.
"Exchange-rate pass-through to import prices in the euro area,"
IESE Research Papers
D/609, IESE Business School.
- José M. Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & José M. González-Mínguez, 2005. "Exchange rate pass through to import prices in the euro area," Working Papers 0538, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S. & González Mìnguez, Jose Manuel, 2005. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 5347, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & Jose M. Gonzalez-Minguez, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to import prices in the Euro area," Staff Reports 219, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg & José M. González-Mínguez, 2005. "Exchange-Rate Pass-Through to Import Prices in the Euro Area," NBER Working Papers 11632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2005. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 679-690, November.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1998.
"Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-369, June.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1995. "Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization," Working Papers 95-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Welch, Finis, 1974. "Minimum Wage Legislation in the United States," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(3), pages 285-318, September.
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Harrington & John M. Vernon, 2005. "Economics of Regulation and Antitrust, 4th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 4, volume 1, number 026222075x, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1981. "Optimal Auction Design," Mathematics of Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 58-73, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Bennett & Ioana Chioveanu, 2017.
"The optimal minimum wage with regulatory uncertainty,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 19(6), pages 1099-1116, December.
- Bennett, John & Chioveanu, Ioana, 2015. "The Optimal Minimum Wage with Regulatory Uncertainty," IZA Discussion Papers 9576, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andersson, Tommy & Yang, Zaifu & Zhang, Dongmo, 2015.
"How to efficiently allocate houses under price controls?,"
Elsevier, vol. 130(C), pages 97-99.
- Andersson , Tommy & Yang , Zaifu & Zhang , Dongmo, 2014. "How to Efficiently Allocate Houses under Price Controls?," Working Papers 2014:24, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Tommy Andersson & Zaifu Yang & Dongmo Zhang, 2014. "How to Efficiently Allocate Houses under Price Controls?," Discussion Papers 14/05, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Armstrong, Mark & Vickers, John, 2016. "Multiproduct Pricing Made Simple," MPRA Paper 68717, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aditya Bhave & Eric Budish, 2017. "Primary-Market Auctions for Event Tickets: Eliminating the Rents of 'Bob the Broker'?," NBER Working Papers 23770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ritz, Robert, 2016. "Oligopolistic competition and welfare," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1680, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Radygin, Alexander & Entov, Revold, 2013. ""Fundamental" theorem of privatization: ideology, evolution, practice," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, pages 7-45, December.
- Chen Ling & David Scrogin, 2014.
"Optimal pricing of public lotteries and comparison of competing mechanisms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(26), pages 3211-3223, September.
- David Scrogin & Chen Ling, 2012. "Optimal Pricing of Public Lotteries and Comparison of Competing Mechanisms," Working Papers 2012-05, University of Central Florida, Department of Economics.
- David H. Autor & Christopher J. Palmer & Parag A. Pathak, 2014.
"Housing Market Spillovers: Evidence from the End of Rent Control in Cambridge, Massachusetts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 122(3), pages 661-717.
- David H. Autor & Christopher J. Palmer & Parag A. Pathak, 2012. "Housing Market Spillovers: Evidence from the End of Rent Control in Cambridge Massachusetts," NBER Working Papers 18125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iñaki Aguirre & Simon G. Cowan, 2015.
"Monopoly price discrimination with constant elasticity demand,"
Economic Theory Bulletin,
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 3(2), pages 329-340, October.
- Aguirre Pérez, Iñaki & Cowan, Simon George, 2013. "Monopoly price discrimination with constant elasticity demand," IKERLANAK Ikerlanak;2013-74, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Peter Neary & Monika Mrazova, 2013. "Not so demanding: Preference structure, firm behavior, and welfare," Economics Series Working Papers 691, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- repec:bla:randje:v:48:y:2017:i:2:p:467-484 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gabaix, Xavier & Laibson, David & Li, Deyuan & Li, Hongyi & Resnick, Sidney & de Vries, Casper G., 2016.
"The impact of competition on prices with numerous firms,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 165(C), pages 1-24.
- Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson & Deyuan Li & Hongyi Li & Sidney Resnick & Casper G. de Vries, 2013. "The Impact of Competition on Prices with Numerous Firms," Working Papers 13-07, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Zhu Wang & Julian Wright, 2012. "Ad-valorem platform fees and efficient price discrimination," Working Paper 12-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Kevin K. Tsui, 2016. "The Upside-down Economics of Regulated and Otherwise Rigid Prices," NBER Working Papers 22305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herings P.J.J., 2015. "Equilibrium and matching under price controls," Research Memorandum 001, Maastricht University, Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE).
- repec:eee:pubeco:v:153:y:2017:i:c:p:56-68 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bennett, John & Chioveanu, Ioana, 2016. "Pro-Consumer Price Ceilings under Regulatory Uncertainty," MPRA Paper 72161, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark A. C. Kattenberg & Wolter H. J. Hassink, 2017. "Who Moves Out of Social Housing? The Effect of Rent Control on Housing Tenure Choice," De Economist, Springer, vol. 165(1), pages 43-66, March.
- Aart Gerritsen, 2016. "How Many Harberger Triangles Does it Take to Fill one Okun Gap?," Working Papers tax-mpg-rps-2016-05, Max Planck Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance.
- Alexander Radygin & Revold Entov, 2014. "The Fundamental Privatization Theorem: Ideology, Evolution, Practice," Working Papers 0087, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2014.
More about this item
KeywordsPrice Control; Rationing; Allocative Efficiency; Microeconomic Theory; Marginal Revenue; Minimum Wage; Rent Control; Consumer Welfare; Rent Seeking;
- D45 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Rationing; Licensing
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-06-25 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2012-06-25 (Microeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nuf:econwp:1203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett). General contact details of provider: https://www.nuffield.ox.ac.uk/economics/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.