Dominance and Competitive Bundling
We study bundling by a dominant multi-product rm facing competition from a rival multi-product rm. Compared to competition under independent pricing, competition under pure bundling reduces (increases) each rm's pro t for low (high) levels of dominance, while for intermediate levels of dominance, it increases the dominant rm's pro t but reduces the rival's pro t. The latter result provides a justi cation for the use of contractual bundling to build entry barrier. When we allow for mixed bundling, we nd a threshold level of dominance above which the unique outcome is the one under pure bundling.
|Date of creation:||13 Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Thanassoulis, 2011. "Is Multimedia Convergence To Be Welcomed?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 225-253, 06.
- Gregory Pavlov, 2010.
"Optimal Mechanism for Selling Two Goods,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
20103, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Jong-Hee Hahn & Sang-Hyun Kim, 2012. "Mix-and-Match Compatibility in Asymmetric System Markets," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 168(2), pages 311-338, June.
- Barry Nalebuff, 2004. "Bundling as an Entry Barrier," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 159-187.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2007.
"Bundling and Competition for Slots,"
07-15, NET Institute, revised Sep 2007.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Joshua S. Gans & Michael Waldman, 2007.
"Why Tie A Product Consumers Do Not Use?,"
NBER Working Papers
13339, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Vickers & Mark Armstrong, 2006.
"Competitive Nonlinear Pricing and Bundling,"
Economics Series Working Papers
281, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2005.
"Bundling Electronic Journals and Competition among Publishers,"
270, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2006. "Bundling Electronic Journals and Competition among Publishers," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(5), pages 1038-1083, 09.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2003. "Bundling electronic journals and competition among publishers," Economics Working Papers 678, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2005.
- domenico menicucci & doh-shin jeon, 2004. "bundling electronic journals and competition among publishers," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 720, Econometric Society.
- Carbajo, Jose & de Meza, David & Seidmann, Daniel J, 1990. "A Strategic Motivation for Commodity Bundling," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 283-98, March.
- John Riley & Richard Zeckhauser, 1983. "Optimal Selling Strategies: When to Haggle, When to Hold Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 267-289.
- Kai Uwe Kuhn & John Van Reenen, 2008.
"Interoperability and market foreclosure in the European Microsoft case,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4664, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kai Uwe Kühn & John Van Reenen, 2008. "Interoperability and Market Foreclosure In the European Microsoft Case," CEP Special Papers 20, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2015.
65779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Michael Waldman, 1998.
"The Strategic Use Of Tying To Preserve And Create Market Power In Evolving Industries,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
145, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Michael Waldman, 2002. "The Strategic Use of Tying to Preserve and Create Market Power in Evolving Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(2), pages 194-220, Summer.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Michael Waldman, 1998. "The Strategic Use of Tying to Preserve and Create Market Power in Evolving Industries," NBER Working Papers 6831, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yannis Bakos & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1997.
"Bundling Information Goods: Pricing, Profits and Efficiency,"
Working Paper Series
199, MIT Center for Coordination Science.
- Yannis Bakos & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1999. "Bundling Information Goods: Pricing, Profits, and Efficiency," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(12), pages 1613-1630, December.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2006. "Price discrimination," MPRA Paper 4693, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:27442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.