Option Package Bundling
This paper analyzes the optimality of package bundling by focusing on the ?main and accessory?relationship between two goods. In particular, we consider option package bundling in which an optional good is valuable only if it is consumed together with a certain (nonoptional) base good. We develop a model of option package bundling for a monopolist in which buyers?valuations are independently and uniformly distributed. We also allow inter-relationship between valuations by assuming that the reservation value of the bundle can be greater or less than the sum of the innate value of both goods. Our analysis observes that mixed bundling, in which the base good is sold with or without the optional good, yields a higher pro?t than pure bundling if and only if the range of the optional good valuation exceeds a threshold value. We then conduct a welfare analysis of the bundling choice. The result is surprising: pure bundling is always desirable from the social welfare viewpoint when a monopolist chooses mixed bundling.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crawford, Gregory S & Yurukoglu, Ali, 2011.
"The Welfare Effects of Bundling in Multichannel Television Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8370, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gregory S. Crawford & Ali Yurukoglu, 2012. "The Welfare Effects of Bundling in Multichannel Television Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(2), pages 643-85, April.
- Adams, William James & Yellen, Janet L, 1976. "Commodity Bundling and the Burden of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 475-98, August.
- Hanming Fang & Peter Norman, 2003.
"To Bundle or Not to Bundle,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1440, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Salinger, Michael A, 1995. "A Graphical Analysis of Bundling," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(1), pages 85-98, January.
- Gregory Crawford, 2008. "The discriminatory incentives to bundle in the cable television industry," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 41-78, March.
- John Thanassoulis, 2006.
"Competitive Mixed Bundling and Consumer Surplus,"
Economics Series Working Papers
263, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- John C. Eckalbar, 2010. "Closed-Form Solutions to Bundling Problems," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 513-544, 06.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Domenico Menicucci, 2007.
"Bundling and Competition for Slots,"
07-15, NET Institute, revised Sep 2007.
- David S. Evans & Albert L. Nichols & Richard Schmalensee, 2005. "U.S. v. Microsoft: Did Consumers Win?," NBER Working Papers 11727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yannis Bakos & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1997.
"Bundling Information Goods: Pricing, Profits and Efficiency,"
Working Paper Series
199, MIT Center for Coordination Science.
- Yannis Bakos & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1999. "Bundling Information Goods: Pricing, Profits, and Efficiency," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(12), pages 1613-1630, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521016919 is not listed on IDEAS
- Armstrong, M., 1996.
"Price discrimination by a many-product firm,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9628, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John & Whinston, Michael D, 1989. "Multiproduct Monopoly, Commodity Bundling, and Correlation of Values," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 371-83, May.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:i:4:p:946-963 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521816632 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:785. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.