Reverse trade credit - the use of prepayments by French firms
This paper provides the first detailed empirical study on the use of prepayments by firms. Our results based on large panels of French firms support the Daripa and Nilsen (2011) production subsidy theory of prepayment, according to which customers prepay their suppliers when these would otherwise delay production and input supply. However, we also find that advance cash payments may arise as a response to corporate default risk. Our findings show that both firm characteristics (profitability, liquidity, bank funding, and size) and industry characteristics such as the type of traded goods and industry concentration measures influence the volume of prepayments.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics University of Nottingham University Park Nottingham NG7 2RD|
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cfcm/index.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burkart, Mike & Ellingsen, Tore & Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2004.
"What You Sell is What You Lend? Explaining Trade Credit Contracts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mariassunta Giannetti & Mike Burkart & Tore Ellingsen, 0. "What You Sell Is What You Lend? Explaining Trade Credit Contracts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(4), pages 1261-1298.
- Martin Raiser & Alan Rousso & Franklin Steves, 2004.
"Trust in Transition: Cross-country and Firm Evidence,"
- Martin Raiser & Alan Rousso & Franklin Steves, 2004. "Trust In Transition: Cross Country And Firm Evidence," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-640, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tae-Hwy Lee & Faik Koray, 1994. "Uncertainty in Sales and Inventory Behaviour in the U.S. Trade Sectors," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 129-142, February.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1996.
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mustafa Caglayan & Sara Maioli & Simona Mateut, "undated".
"Inventories and sales uncertainty,"
11/02, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Daniela Fabbri & Anna Maria Cristina Menichini, 2005.
"Trade Credit, Collateral Liquidation and Borrowing Constraints,"
CSEF Working Papers
146, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 08 Feb 2009.
- Fabbri, Daniela & Menichini, Anna Maria C., 2010. "Trade credit, collateral liquidation, and borrowing constraints," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 413-432, June.
- Mike Burkart & Tore Ellingsen, 2004. "In-Kind Finance: A Theory of Trade Credit," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 569-590, June.
- Arup Daripa & Jeffrey Nilsen, 2011. "Ensuring Sales: A Theory of Inter-firm Credit," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 245-279, February.
- Bougheas, Spiros & Mateut, Simona & Mizen, Paul, 2009.
"Corporate trade credit and inventories: New evidence of a trade-off from accounts payable and receivable,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 300-307, February.
- Simona Mateut & Spiros Bougheas & Paul Mizen, "undated". "Corporate trade credit and inventories: New evidence of a tradeoff from accounts payable and receivable," Discussion Papers 08/09, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003. "Entry, Exit and Establishment Survival in UK Manufacturing," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 91-112, 03.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-685, May.
- James E. Rauch, 1996.
"Networks versus Markets in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
5617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Utku Teksoz, 2008. "Trust in Transition: Cross-Country and Firm Evidence," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(2), pages 407-433, October.
- Simona Mateut & Paul Mizen & Ydriss Ziane, "undated". "No Going Back: The Interactions Between Processed Inventories and Trade Credit," Discussion Papers 11/04, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notcfc:11/12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilary Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.