Macroeconomic Stabilization in Latin America: Recent Experience and Some Sequencing Issues
This paper reviews the experience of Latin American countries with structural reforms, and discusses the relationship between macroeconomic stabilization and trade liberalization programs undertaken in the region since the early 1980s. The problem of sequencing of stabilization and structural reforms is analyzed with detail. First from a theoretical perspective, second, reviewing the stabilization programs implemented in Latin America on a case by case basis. Particular emphasis is given to the analysis of the fiscal consequences of the chosen sequencing, as well as its impact on the evolution of domestic savings and investment, and on foreign investment. The final part of the paper concentrates on the behavior of real exchange rates during the stabilization programs and its relationship with trade reforms.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1990.
"Credibility and Stabilization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
454, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991.
"Public policies and saving in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
574, The World Bank.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991. "Public policies and saving in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 89-115, July.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1978. "On the Time Consistency of Optimal Policy in a Monetary Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1411-28, November.
- Boskin, Michael J, 1978. "Taxation, Saving, and the Rate of Interest," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages S3-27, April.
- Alesina, Alberto & Drazen, Allan, 1991.
"Why Are Stabilizations Delayed?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1170-88, December.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1986. "Issues in Medium-term Macroeconomic Adjustment," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 163-82, July.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1978. "Taxation, Saving, and the Rate of Interest," NBER Chapters, in: Research in Taxation, pages 3-27 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friedman, Milton, 1971. "Government Revenue from Inflation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(4), pages 846-56, July-Aug..
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1985. "Observations on the Chilean Economy, 1973-1983," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(3), pages 451-62, April.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
88-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Edwards, Sebastian & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1986. "The Welfare Effects of Trade and Capital Market Liberalization," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 141-48, February.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1983. "The interest elasticity of savings in developing countries: The existing evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(7), pages 601-607, July.
- repec:pal:imfstp:v:36:y:1989:i:3:p:612-632 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1991.
Policy Research Working Paper Series
807, The World Bank.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4697. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.