Exchange Rates as Nominal Anchors
This paper discusses the use of nominal exchange rates as nominal anchors in stabilization programs. The first part deals with the dynamics of inflation in highly indexed economies. It is shown that credible exchange rate anchors will reduce the degree of inflationary inertia. However, if some residual inertia is maintained in some contracts, real exchange rate overvaluation will result. Data from Chile, Mexico and Yugoslavia are used to test the implications of the model. The second part deals with the long run, and uses a 56 countries data set to investigate whether fixed exchange rates have been associated with greater financial discipline.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1992|
|Publication status:||published as Edwards, Sebastian. “Exchange Rates as Nominal Anchors." Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv 129, 1 (1993): 1-32.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas J. Sargent, 1981. "Stopping moderate inflations: the methods of Poincaré and Thatcher," Working Papers 1, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor & Mark P. Taylor, 1992.
"Testing for Credibility Effects,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 545-571, September.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Mark P. Taylor, 1991. "Testing for Credibility Effects," IMF Working Papers 91/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter Isard, 1988. "Monetary Policy Strategies," NBER Working Papers 2770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Do the Benefits of Exchange Rates Outweigh Their Cost? The Franc Zone in Africa," CEPR Discussion Papers 561, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1993. "Moderate Inflation," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger*Fischer, Stanley, 1991. "Moderate inflation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 807, The World Bank.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Stanley Fischer, 1991. "Moderate Inflation," NBER Working Papers 3896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-398, September.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Dani Rodrik, 1991. "Do the Benefits of Fixed Exchange Rates Outweigh Their Costs? The Franc Zone in Africa," NBER Working Papers 3727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Do the benefits of fixed exchange rates outweigh their costs? The Franc Zone in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 777, The World Bank.
- Kiguel, Miguel A & Liviatan, Nissan, 1992. "The Business Cycle Associated.with Exchange Rate-Based Stabilizations," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 279-305, May.
- Peter J Montiel & Bijan B. Aghevli & Mohsin S. Khan, 1991. "Exchange Rate Policy in Developing Countries; Some Analytical Issues," IMF Occasional Papers 78, International Monetary Fund.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-325, August.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter Isard, 1989. "Monetary Policy Strategies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 612-632, September.
- Bruno, M., 1991. "High Inflation and the Nominal Anchors of an Open Economy," Princeton Studies in International Economics 183, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Alesina, Alberto & Tabellini, Guido, 1988. "Credibility and politics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 542-550, March.
- Guillermo Calvo & Carlos A. Végh Gramont, 1990. "Credibility and the Dynamics of Stabilization Policy; A Basic Framework," IMF Working Papers 90/110, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)