Which Banks Recover From Large Adverse Shocks?
We analyze the fate of 110 Italian banks that experienced abrupt drops in profitability, from which about 1/3 recover. Recovery depends primarily on post-shock adjustments made by the banks, particularly to their loan portfolios. Matched bank-borrower data shows that recovering banks are significantly more aggressive in managing their riskiest clients. The risk management differences are consistent with some banks cutting credit to very riskiest clients while others appear to be gambling for reclamation by continuing to extend credit to high risk borrowers.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2017|
|Note:||CF EFG ME|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajkamal Iyer & José-Luis Peydró & Samuel da-Rocha-Lopes & Antoinette Schoar, 2014.
"Interbank Liquidity Crunch and the Firm Credit Crunch: Evidence from the 2007--2009 Crisis,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 27(1), pages 347-372, January.
- Rajkamal Iyer & Samuel Da-Rocha-Lopes & José-Luis Peydró & Antoinette Schoar, 2013. "Interbank liquidity crunch and the firm credit crunch: Evidence from the 2007-2009 crisis," Economics Working Papers 1365, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Rajkamal Iyer & Samuel Da-Rocha-Lopes & José-Luis Peydró & Antoinette Schoar, 2013. "Interbank Liquidity Crunch and the Firm Credit Crunch: Evidence from the 2007-2009 Crisis," Working Papers 687, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Detragiache, Enrica & Rajan, Raghuram, 2008. "The real effect of banking crises," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 89-112, January.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Raghuram Rajan & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "The Real Effect of Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 05/63, International Monetary Fund.
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Detragiache, Enrica & Rajan, Raghuram G, 2005. "The Real Effect of Banking Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 5088, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 192(1), pages 68-83, April.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2005. "Cross-country empirical studies of systemic bank distress : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3719, The World Bank.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress; A Survey," IMF Working Papers 05/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Fabio Panetta & Fabiano Schivardi & Matthew Shum, 2009. "Do Mergers Improve Information? Evidence from the Loan Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(4), pages 673-709, 06.
- Fabio Panetta & Fabiano Schivardi & Matthew Shum, 2004. "Do mergers improve information? evidence from the loan market," Proceedings 942, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Panetta, Fabio & Schivardi, Fabiano & Shum, Matthew, 2005. "Do Mergers Improve Information? Evidence from the Loan Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 4961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Kang, Jun-Koo & Lim, Chan-Woo, 2002. "The value of durable bank relationships: evidence from Korean banking shocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 181-214, May.
- Federico Cingano & Francesco Manaresi & Enrico Sette, 2016. "Does Credit Crunch Investment Down? New Evidence on the Real Effects of the Bank-Lending Channel," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 29(10), pages 2737-2773.
- Federico Cingano & Francesco Manaresi & Enrico Sette, 2013. "Does credit crunch investments down? New evidence on the real effects of the bank-lending channel," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 91, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Paola Sapienza, 2002. "The Effects of Banking Mergers on Loan Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 329-367, 02.
- Enrica Detragiache & Paolo Garella & Luigi Guiso, 2000. "Multiple versus Single Banking Relationships: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1133-1161, 06.
- João A. C. Santos, 2011. "Bank Corporate Loan Pricing Following the Subprime Crisis," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 1916-1943.
- Bonaccorsi di Patti, Emilia & Gobbi, Giorgio, 2001. "The changing structure of local credit markets: Are small businesses special?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2209-2237, December.
- Angelini, Paolo & Cetorelli, Nicola, 2003. " The Effects of Regulatory Reform on Competition in the Banking Industry," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(5), pages 663-684, October.
- Slovin, Myron B & Sushka, Marie E & Polonchek, John A, 1993. " The Value of Bank Durability: Borrowers as Bank Stakeholders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 247-266, March.
- Carvalho, Daniel & Ferreira, Miguel A. & Matos, Pedro, 2015. "Lending Relationships and the Effect of Bank Distress: Evidence from the 2007–2009 Financial Crisis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(06), pages 1165-1197, December.
- Thomas Kick & Michael Koetter & Tigran Poghosyan, 2016. "Bank Recapitalization, Regulatory Intervention, and Repayment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 48(7), pages 1467-1494, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:23654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.