Asset Liquidity and International Portfolio Choice
We study optimal portfolio choice in a two-country model where assets represent claims on future consumption and facilitate trade in markets with imperfect credit. Assuming that foreign assets trade at a cost, agents hold relatively more domestic assets. Consequently, agents have larger claims to domestic over foreign consumption. Moreover, foreign assets turn over faster than domestic assets because the former have desirable liquidity properties, but represent inferior saving tools. Our mechanism offers an answer to a long-standing puzzle in international finance: a positive relationship between consumption and asset home bias coupled with higher turnover rates of foreign over domestic assets.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Geromichalos, A., and I. Simonovska (2014): “Asset Liquidity and International Portfolio Choice,” Journal of Economic Theory, 151(1), 342-380.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Head, Allen & Shi, Shouyong, 2003.
"A fundamental theory of exchange rates and direct currency trades,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1555-1591, October.
- Allen Head & Shouyong Shi, 2002. "A Fundamental Theory of Exchange Rates and Direct Currency Trades," Working Papers shouyong-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Allen Head & Shouyong Shi, 2000. "A Fundamental Theory of Exchange Rates and Direct Currency Trades," Working Papers 993, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Fabrice Collard & Harris Dellas & Behzad Diba & Alan Stockman, 2007.
"Goods Trade and International Equity Portfolios,"
NBER Working Papers
13612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Camera, Gabriele & Winkler, Johannes, 2003. "International monetary trade and the law of one price," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1531-1553, October.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2008. "Information, Liquidity and Asset Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-039, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Matsui, Akihiko, 1993.
"Toward a Theory of International Currency,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 283-307, April.
- Lagos, Ricardo & Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2008.
"Money and capital as competing media of exchange,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 247-258, September.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2007.
"The International Diversification Puzzle Is Not As Bad As You Think,"
NBER Working Papers
13483, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2013. "The International Diversification Puzzle Is Not as Bad as You Think," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(6), pages 1108 - 1159.
- Fabrizio Perri & Jonathan Heathcote, 2007. "The International Diversification Puzzle Is Not as Bad as You Think," Working Papers 2007-3, University of Minnesota, Department of Economics, revised 08 Oct 2007.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2007. "The international diversification puzzle is not as bad as you think," Staff Report 398, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Heathcote, Jonathan & Perri, Fabrizio, 2008. "The International Diversification Puzzle is Not as Bad as You Think," CEPR Discussion Papers 6982, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2013. "The international diversification puzzle is not as bad as you think," Working Papers 472, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2004. "The international diversification puzzle is not as bad as you think," 2004 Meeting Papers 152, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Athanasios Geromichalos & Juan M Licari & Jose Suarez-Lledo, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(4), pages 761-779, October.
- Hnatkovska, Viktoria, 2010. "Home bias and high turnover: Dynamic portfolio choice with incomplete markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 113-128, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17331. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.