Asset Liquidity and International Portfolio Choice
We study optimal asset portfolio choice in a two-country search-theoretic model of monetary exchange. We allow assets to not only represent claims on future consumption, but to also serve as means of payment. Assuming foreign assets trade at a cost, we characterize equilibria in which different countries’ assets arise as media of exchange in different types of trades. More frequent trading opportunities at home result in agents holding proportionately more domestic over foreign assets. Consequently, agents have larger claims to domestic over foreign consumption goods. Moreover, foreign assets turn over faster than home assets because the former have desirable liquidity properties, but unfavorable returns over time. Our mechanism offers an answer to a long-standing puzzle in international finance: a positive relationship between consumption and asset home bias, coupled with higher turnover rates of foreign over domestic assets.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen Head & Shouyong Shi, 2000.
"A Fundamental Theory of Exchange Rates and Direct Currency Trades,"
993, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Head, Allen & Shi, Shouyong, 2003. "A fundamental theory of exchange rates and direct currency trades," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1555-1591, October.
- Allen Head & Shouyong Shi, 2002. "A Fundamental Theory of Exchange Rates and Direct Currency Trades," Working Papers shouyong-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Hnatkovska, Viktoria, 2010. "Home bias and high turnover: Dynamic portfolio choice with incomplete markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 113-128, January.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2007.
"The international diversification puzzle is not as bad as you think,"
398, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2013. "The International Diversification Puzzle Is Not as Bad as You Think," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(6), pages 1108 - 1159.
- Heathcote, Jonathan & Perri, Fabrizio, 2008. "The International Diversification Puzzle is Not as Bad as You Think," CEPR Discussion Papers 6982, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabrizio Perri & Jonathan Heathcote, 2007. "The International Diversification Puzzle Is Not as Bad as You Think," Working Papers 2007-3, University of Minnesota, Department of Economics, revised 08 Oct 2007.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2007. "The International Diversification Puzzle Is Not As Bad As You Think," NBER Working Papers 13483, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2004. "The international diversification puzzle is not as bad as you think," 2004 Meeting Papers 152, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Fabrizio Perri, 2013. "The international diversification puzzle is not as bad as you think," Working Papers 472, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2004.
"Money and capital as competing media of exchange,"
341, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Camera, Gabriele & Winkler, Johannes, 2003. "International monetary trade and the law of one price," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1531-1553, October.
- Athanasios Geromichalos & Juan M Licari & Jose Suarez-Lledo, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(4), pages 761-779, October.
- Fabrice Collard & Harris Dellas & Behzad Diba & Alan Stockman, 2009.
"Goods Trade and International Equity Portfolios,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2009-14, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2008. "Information, Liquidity and Asset Prices," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-039, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1991.
"Toward a Theory of International Currency,"
931, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:756. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.