Asset Prices, Liquidity, and Monetary Policy in an Exchange Economy
I formulate a search-based asset-pricing model where equity shares and fiat money can be used as means of payment. I characterize a family of optimal stochastic monetary policies. Every policy in this family implements Friedman's prescription of zero nominal interest rates. Under an optimal policy, equity prices and returns are independent of monetary considerations. I also study a perturbation of the family of optimal policies that targets a constant but nonzero nominal interest rate. Under such policies, the average real return on equity is negatively correlated with the average inflation rate.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2006.
"Money and capital as competing media of exchange,"
0608, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Shouyong Shi, 1996.
"A Divisible Search Model of Fiat Money,"
930, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- B. Ravikumar & Enchuan Shao, 2010.
"Search Frictions and Asset Price Volatility,"
10-1, Bank of Canada.
- Alberto Giovannini & Pamela Labadie, 1989.
"Asset Prices and Interest Rates in Cash-In-Advance Models,"
NBER Working Papers
3109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, Alberto & Labadie, Pamela, 1991. "Asset Prices and Interest Rates in Cash-in-Advance Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1215-51, December.
- Giovannini, A. & Labadie, P., 1989. "Esset Prices And Interest Rates In Cash-In-Advance Models," Papers 456, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- Boyle, Glenn W & Young, Leslie, 1988. "Asset Prices, Commodity Prices, and Money: A General Equilibrium, Rational Expectations Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 24-45, March.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Athanasios Geromichalos & Juan M Licari & Jose Suarez-Lledo, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(4), pages 761-779, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:43:y:2011:i::p:521-552. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.