Asset Prices, Liquidity, and Monetary Policy in an Exchange Economy
I formulate a search-based asset-pricing model where equity shares and fiat money can be used as means of payment. I characterize a family of optimal stochastic monetary policies. Every policy in this family implements Friedman's prescription of zero nominal interest rates. Under an optimal policy, equity prices and returns are independent of monetary considerations. I also study a perturbation of the family of optimal policies that targets a constant but nonzero nominal interest rate. Under such policies, the average real return on equity is negatively correlated with the average inflation rate.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Charles R, 1976. "Inflation and Rates of Return on Common Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 471-83, May.
- Boudoukh, Jacob & Richardson, Matthew, 1993. "Stock Returns and Inflation: A Long-Horizon Perspective," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1346-55, December.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005.
"A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Working Paper 0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Staff Report 346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Balduzzi, Pierluigi, 1996. "Inflation and asset prices in a monetary economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 67-74, October.
- Bodie, Zvi, 1976. "Common Stocks as a Hedge against Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 459-70, May.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2006.
"Money and capital as competing media of exchange,"
0608, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Donaldson, John B, 1986. "Inflation and Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 585-605, May.
- Giovannini, Alberto & Labadie, Pamela, 1991.
"Asset Prices and Interest Rates in Cash-in-Advance Models,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1215-51, December.
- Giovannini, A. & Labadie, P., 1989. "Esset Prices And Interest Rates In Cash-In-Advance Models," Papers 456, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Alberto Giovannini & Pamela Labadie, 1989. "Asset Prices and Interest Rates in Cash-In-Advance Models," NBER Working Papers 3109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marshall, David A, 1992. " Inflation and Asset Returns in a Monetary Economy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1315-42, September.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1987. "Asset-return anomalies in a monetary economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 219-247, April.
- B. Ravikumar & Enchuan Shao, 2005.
"Search Frictions and Asset Price Volatility,"
2005 Meeting Papers
227, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kaul, Gautam, 1987. "Stock returns and inflation : The role of the monetary sector," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 253-276, June.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Gultekin, N Bulent, 1983. " Stock Market Returns and Inflation: Evidence from Other Countries," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 49-65, March.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Bansal, Ravi & Coleman, Wilbur John, II, 1996. "A Monetary Explanation of the Equity Premium, Term Premium, and Risk-Free Rate Puzzles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(6), pages 1135-71, December.
- Shouyong Shi, 1997.
"A Divisible Search Model of Fiat Money,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 75-102, January.
- Bohn, Henning, 1991. "On Cash-in-Advance Models of Money Demand and Asset Pricing," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 224-42, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:43:y:2011:i::p:521-552. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.