Trade Liberalization and Firm Dynamics
In this paper, we analyze the transition dynamics associated with an economy's response to trade liberalization. We start by reviewing the recent literature that incorporates firm dynamics into models of international trade. We then build upon that literature to characterize the role of firm dynamics, export-market selection, firm-level innovation, sunk export costs, and firms' expectations regarding the time path of liberalization in generating those transition dynamics following trade liberalization. These modeling ingredients generate substantial aggregate transition dynamics as they shift and shape the endogenous distribution of firms over time. Our results show how the responses of trade volumes, innovation, and aggregate output can vary greatly over time depending on those modeling ingredients. This has important consequences for many issues in international economics that rely on predictions for the effects of globalization over time on those key aggregate outcomes.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Long, Ngo Van & Raff, Horst & Stähler, Frank, 2011.
"Innovation and trade with heterogeneous firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 149-159, July.
- Ngo Van Long & Horst Raff & Frank Stähler, 2009. "Innovation and Trade with Heterogeneous Firms," CESifo Working Paper Series 2796, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ngo Van Long & Horst Raff & Frank Stähler, 2008. "Innovation and Trade with Heterogeneous Firms," Kiel Working Papers 1430, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Antonio Navas-Ruiz & Davide Sala, 2007.
"Technology adoption and the selection effect of trade,"
Economics Working Papers
we076737, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Antonio Navas-Ruiz & Davide Sala, 2007. "Technology Adoption and the Selection Effect of Trade," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/58, European University Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:16960. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.