Variation in Educational Outcomes and Policies across Countries and of Schools within Countries
This study examines the variation in educational outcomes across and within countries using the TIMSS mathematics tests. It documents the wide cross-country variation in the level and dispersion of test scores. Countries with the highest test scores are those with the least inequality in scores, which suggests a "virtuous" equity-efficiency trade-off in improving educational outcomes. Analyzing the association of gender, immigrant status, and family background factors with scores, we find large cross-country differences in the relation between those factors and scores.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as 'Inequality of Educational Outcomes: International Evidence From PISA', Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Special Issue on PISA, (with R. F reeman and M. Viarengo), 11, 5-20 (2011)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Woessmann, Ludger, 2004.
"How Equal Are Educational Opportunities? Family Background and Student Achievement in Europe and the United States,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1284, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ludger Woessmann, 2004. "How Equal Are Educational Opportunities? Family Background and Student Achievement in Europe and the United States," CESifo Working Paper Series 1162, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tom Hertz & Tamara Jayasundera & Patrizio Piraino & Sibel Selcuk & Nicole Smith & Alina Verashchagina, 2007.
"The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends,"
2007-013, American University, Department of Economics.
- Hertz Tom & Jayasundera Tamara & Piraino Patrizio & Selcuk Sibel & Smith Nicole & Verashchagina Alina, 2008. "The Inheritance of Educational Inequality: International Comparisons and Fifty-Year Trends," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-48, January.
- Schütz, Gabriela & Ursprung, Heinrich W. & Wößmann, Ludger, 2008.
"Education policy and equality of opportunity,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19901, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Gabriela Schütz & Heinrich Ursprung & Ludger Woessmann, 2005. "Education Policy and Equality of Opportunity," CESifo Working Paper Series 1518, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schütz, Gabriela & Ursprung, Heinrich W. & Woessmann, Ludger, 2005. "Education Policy and Equality of Opportunity," IZA Discussion Papers 1906, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:16293. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.