When Should Firms Invest in Old Capital?
This paper studies optimal investment policies when the production function depends on capital of various vintages. In such an environment it is natural to ask whether the firm will invest in old-vintage capital at all. In this paper I derive such a condition. Predictably, investment in old capital takes place if the elasticity of substitution between old and new capital is low, and when the depreciation of capital is high. But other parameters such as the rates of technological progress and depreciation matter as well.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Boyan Jovanovic, 2009. "When should firms invest in old capital?," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(1), pages 107-123.|
|Note:||PR TWP EFG|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyan Jovanovic & Yaw Nyarko, 1994.
"Learning By Doing and the Choice of Technology,"
NBER Working Papers
4739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diego Comin & Bart Hobiijn, 2006.
"An Exploration of Technology Diffusion,"
NBER Working Papers
12314, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 1998.
"Vintage Capital and Inequality,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(2), pages 497-530, April.
- Boldrin, Michele & Levine, David, 2002.
"Factor Saving Innovation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3262, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boldrin, Michele & Levine, David K., 2001.
"Growth Cycles and Market Crashes,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 13-39, January.
- Evsey D. Domar, 1963. "Total Productivity and the Quality of Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 586.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Peter L. Rousseau, 2002.
"Mergers as Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
9279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diego Comin & Bart Hobijn, 2003.
"Cross-country technology adoption: making the theories face the facts,"
169, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Comin, D. & Hobijn, B., 2004. "Cross-country technology adoption: making the theories face the facts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 39-83, January.
- Comin, D. & Hobijn, B., 2003. "Cross-Country Technology Adoption: Making the Theories Face the Facts," Working Papers 03-04, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Hyeok Jeong & Yong Kim, 2006. "Complementarity and Transition to Modern Economic Growth," IEPR Working Papers 06.44, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 1997.
"Capital-skill complementarity and inequality: a macroeconomic analysis,"
239, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & JosÈ-Victor RÌos-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 2000. "Capital-Skill Complementarity and Inequality: A Macroeconomic Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1029-1054, September.
- Aruga, Osamu, 2007. "Conventional or New? Optimal Investment Allocation across Vintages of Technology," MPRA Paper 6043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jerome Adda & Russell Cooper, 1997.
"Balladurette and Juppette: A Discrete Analysis of Scrapping Subsidies,"
NBER Working Papers
6048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jerome Adda & Russell Cooper, 2000. "Balladurette and Juppette: A Discrete Analysis of Scrapping Subsidies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 778-806, August.
- Jerome Adda & Russell Cooper, 1997. "Balladurette and Juppette: A Discrete Analysis of Scrapping Subsidies," Papers 0076, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Adda, Jérôme & Cooper, Russell W., 1997. "Balladurette and jupette: a discrete analysis of scrapping subsidies," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9711, CEPREMAP.
- John Haltiwanger & Russell Cooper, 1992.
"The Aggregate Implications Of Machine Replacement: Theory And Evidence,"
92-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Cooper, Russell & Haltiwanger, John, 1993. "The Aggregate Implications of Machine Replacement: Theory and Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 360-82, June.
- Russell Cooper & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "The Aggregate Implications of Machine Replacement: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 3552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koeniger Winfried & Licandro Omar, 2006. "On the Use of Substitutability as a Measure of Competition," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-9, March.
- Kredler, Matthias, 2008.
"Experience vs. Obsolescence: A Vintage-Human-Capital Model,"
10200, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthias Kredler, 2010. "Experience vs. Obsolescence: A Vintage-Human-Capital Model," 2010 Meeting Papers 369, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Dmitriy Stolyarov, 2002. "Turnover of Used Durables in a Stationary Equilibrium: Are Older Goods Traded More?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(6), pages 1390-1413, December.
- Michael Gort & Jeremy Greenwood & Peter Rupert, 1998.
"Measuring the rate of technological progress in structures,"
9806, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Michael Gort & Jeremy Greenwood & Peter Rupert, 1999. "Measuring the Rate of Technological Progress in Structures," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 207-230, January.
- Gort, M. & Greenwood, J. & Rupert, P., 1998. "Measuring the Rate of Technological Progress in Structures," RCER Working Papers 457, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- repec:fda:fdaddt:2006-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hulten, Charles R. & Wykoff, Frank C., 1981. "The estimation of economic depreciation using vintage asset prices : An application of the Box-Cox power transformation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 367-396, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:14000. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.