Experience vs. Obsolescence: A Vintage-Human-Capital Model
horizon version of Chari & Hopenhayn’s (1991) vintage-human-capital model. Different skill levels inside a vintage are complementary in production. I establish equivalence between competitive equilibrium and a planner’s problem, which ensures uniqueness of equilibrium. Returns to skill and tenure premia are highest in young vintages, where skill is scarcest and agents accumulate human capital fastest. As the vintage ages, the skill premium decreases and vanishes entirely upon vintage death. The results are in line with German linked employer-employee data: Young establishments pay higher tenure premia but lower mean wages than old establishments.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002.
"Innovating firms and aggregate innovation,"
300, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," Memorandum 02/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," NBER Working Papers 8819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Kortum, Samuel S, 2002. "Innovating Firms and Aggregate Innovation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3248, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989.
"Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 2005.
"Modeling and measuring organization capital,"
291, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fatih Guvenen & Burhanettin Kuruscu, 2009.
"A quantitative analysis of the evolution of the U.S. wage distribution, 1970-2000,"
427, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fatih Guvenen & Burhanettin Kuruscu, 2010. "A Quantitative Analysis of the Evolution of the U.S. Wage Distribution, 1970-2000," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2009, Volume 24, pages 227-276 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fatih Guvenen & Burhanettin Kuruscu, 2007. "A Quantitative Analysis of the Evolution of the U.S. Wage Distribution: 1970-2000," NBER Working Papers 13095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance John & Todd, Petra E., 2003.
"Fifty Years of Mincer Earnings Regressions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
775, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cummins, Jason G & Violante, Giovanni L, 2002.
"Investment-Specific Technical Change in the US (1947-2000): Measurement and Macroeconomic Consequences,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3584, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jason G. Cummins & Giovanni L. Violante, 2002. "Investment-Specific Technical Change in the US (1947-2000): Measurement and Macroeconomic Consequences," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(2), pages 243-284, April.
- Jason G. Cummins & Giovanni L. Violante, 2002. "Investment-specific technical change in the US (1947-2000): measurement and macroeconomics consequences," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark Huggett, 2003.
"Human Capital and Earnings Distribution Dynamics,"
gueconwpa~03-03-10, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Gottschalk & Timothy M. Smeeding, 1997. "Cross-National Comparisons of Earnings and Income Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 633-687, June.
- Ken Burdett & Melvyn Coles, 2003. "Equilibrium Wage-Tenure Contracts," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1377-1404, 09.
- Claudio Michelacci & Vincenzo Quadrini, 2004.
"Financial Markets and Wages,"
2004 Meeting Papers
116, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Peter Gottschalk & Mary Joyce, 1998.
"Cross-National Differences In The Rise In Earnings Inequality: Market And Institutional Factors,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 489-502, November.
- Peter Gottschalk & Mary Joyce, 1997. "Cross-National Differences in the Rise in Earnings Inequality: Market and Institutional Factors," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 366, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Yoram Ben-Porath, 1967. "The Production of Human Capital and the Life Cycle of Earnings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 352.
- Gordon, Robert J., 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226304557.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed010:369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.