Competitive Wage Cycles with Imperfect Output Market Competition
We consider a model of a sector in which the same set of oligopolistic firms faces a common labour supply constraint. The wage is given in the short run, adjusting competitively in the longer run. When the costs of job creation are low relative to the degree of output market power, there exists no wage that clears the labour market in the short run, and at some wages there are two equilibria, one with involuntary unemployment and one with unfilled vacancies. The competitive wage dynamics produces a cycle with persistent labour market disequilibrium and recurrent periods of involuntary unemployment.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/our-research/centre-for-growth-and-business-cycle-research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Hart, 1982. "A Model of Imperfect Competition with Keynesian Features," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(1), pages 109-138.
- Schultz, Christian, 1992.
"The impossibility of involuntary unemployment in an overlapping generations model with rational expectations,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 61-76, October.
- Christian Schultz, 1989. "The Impossibility of "Involuntary Unemployment" in an Overlapping Generations Model with Rational Expectations," Discussion Papers 89-18, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Oct 1989.
- Dehez, Pierre, 1985. "Monopolistic equilibrium and involuntary unemployment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 160-165, June.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, July.
- Silvestre, Joaquim, 1990. "There May Be Unemployment When the Labour Market Is Competitive and the Output Market Is Not," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 899-913, September.
- Silvestre, J., 1988. "There May Be Unemployment When The Labor Market Is Competitive And The Output Market Is Not," Papers 316, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Lasselle, Laurence & Svizzero, Serge, 2001. "The Impossibility of Underemployment with More Than One Product Market," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 157-165, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:cgbcrp:19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.