Heterogeneous sunspots solutions under learning and replicator dynamics
In a linear stochastic forward-looking univariate model with predetermined variables, we consider the possibility of heterogeneous equilibria with sunspots emerging endogenously through adaptive learning and replicator dynamics. In particular, we investigate equilibria where only a fraction of agents in the economy condition their forecasts on a sunspot, and equilibria where di¤erent groups of agents use di¤erent sunspots. We comclude that, although such heterogeneous equilibria exist and can be stable under adaptive learning, they do no survive under endogenous replicator dynamics. Moreover, we show that even homogeneous sunspot equilibria require some degree of coordinations among agents for them to emerge in an economy. We conclude that heterogeneous equilibria with sunspots are fragile under endogenous selection of predictors by agents, and that even the relevance of homogeneous sunspot equilibria is questioned once agents are allowed to doubt about the importance of sunspots in their forecasts.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/our-research/centre-for-growth-and-business-cycle-research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 1999. "Macroeconomics of Self-fulfilling Prophecies, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062038, July.
- Guse, Eran A., 2010.
"Heterogeneous expectations, adaptive learning, and evolutionary dynamics,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 42-57, May.
- Eran A. Guse, 2008. "Heterogeneous Expectations, Adaptive Learning, and Evolutionary Dynamics," Working Papers 09-01, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Berardi, Michele, 2009. "Heterogeneous expectations, sunspot equilibria and their fragility," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 276-279, December.
- Berardi, Michele, 2011. "Fundamentalists vs. chartists: Learning and predictor choice dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 776-792, May.
- Michele Berardi, 2008. "Fundamentalists vs. chartists: learning and predictor choice dynamics," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 104, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Michele Berardi, 2011. "Fundamentalists vs. chartists: Learning and predictor choice dynamics," Post-Print hal-00796301, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:cgbcrp:160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.