Determinants and Impact of Subcontracting: Evidence from Indiaâ€™s Informal Manufacturing Sector
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Willis, Robert J & Rosen, Sherwin, 1979. "Education and Self-Selection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 7-36, October.
- Kar, Saibal & Marjit, Sugata, 2009. "Urban informal sector and poverty," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 631-642, October.
- Rafael La Porta & Andrei Shleifer, 2008. "The Unofficial Economy and Economic Development," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 39(2 (Fall)), pages 275-363.
- Fortin, Nicole & Lemieux, Thomas & Firpo, Sergio, 2011. "Decomposition Methods in Economics," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier.
- Nataraj, Shanthi, 2011. "The impact of trade liberalization on productivity: Evidence from India's formal and informal manufacturing sectors," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 292-301.
- Marjit, Sugata, 2003. "Economic reform and informal wage--a general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 371-378, October.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- repec:hrv:faseco:33078210 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chen, Martha & Sebstad, Jennefer & O'Connell, Lesley, 1999. "Counting the Invisible Workforce: The Case of Homebased Workers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 603-610, March.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Ashok Kotwal & Bharat Ramaswami & Wilima Wadhwa, 2011.
"Economic Liberalization and Indian Economic Growth: What's the Evidence?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1152-1199, December.
- Ashkok Kotwal & Bharat Ramaswami & Wilima Wadhwa, 2011. "Economic liberalization and Indian economic growth: What's the evidence?," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 11-13, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Maloney, William F., 2004. "Informality Revisited," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1159-1178, July.
- Ben Arimah, 2001. "Nature and Determinants of the Linkages between Informal and Formal Sector Enterprises in Nigeria," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 13(1), pages 114-144.
- Asha Sundaram & Reshad Ahsan & Devashish Mitra, 2012. "Complementarity between Formal and Informal Manufacturing in India: The Role of Policies and Institutions," Working Papers 1116, School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University, revised Apr 2012.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Indrajit Bairagya, 2013. "Sub-contracting and efficiency of the informal sector in India," Journal of Developing Areas, Tennessee State University, College of Business, vol. 47(2), pages 341-361, July-Dece.
- Idson, Todd L & Feaster, Daniel J, 1990. "A Selectivity Model of Employer-Size Wage Differentials," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages 99-122, January.
- Maria Floro & Anant Pichetpongsa, 2010. "Gender, Work Intensity, and Well-Being of Thai Home-Based Workers," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 5-44.
- Erol Taymaz, 2005. "Are Small Firms Really Less Productive?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 25(5), pages 429-445, December.
- Moreno-Monroy, Ana Isabel & Pieters, Janneke & Erumban, Abdul Azeez, 2012. "Subcontracting and the Size and Composition of the Informal Sector: Evidence from Indian Manufacturing," IZA Discussion Papers 6785, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Shoshana Neuman & Ronald Oaxaca, 2004. "Wage Decompositions with Selectivity-Corrected Wage Equations: A Methodological Note," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 2(1), pages 3-10, April.
- Paula Kantor, 2005. "Determinants Of Women'S Microenterprise Success In Ahmedabad, India: Empowerment And Economics," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 63-83.
- Danny Leung & Césaire Meh & Yaz Terajima, 2008. "Productivity in Canada: Does Firm Size Matter?," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 2008(Autumn), pages 7-16.
- Main, Brian G M & Reilly, Barry, 1993. "The Employer Size-Wage Gap: Evidence for Britain," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(238), pages 125-142, May.
More about this item
Keywordssub-contracting; informal sector; Heckman sample selection; Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition;
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- O17 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- O53 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-06-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2014-06-07 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2014-06-07 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-IUE-2014-06-07 (Informal & Underground Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mab:wpaper:2014_08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arjun Jayadev). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/deumbus.html .