Impact Evaluation of the Brazilian Non-Contributory Pension Program Benefício de Prestação Continuada (BPC) on Family Welfare
The Benefício de Prestação Continuada (BPC) program is a non‐contributory pension addressed to poor elders over 65 years‐old. This paper evaluates its effects on household composition and on labor market outcomes of the elders and their co‐residing relatives. We could not capture any sign of changes in the household composition due to the program. However we found decreases in the labor force participation of the elders, indicating that the program makes it possible for these poor elders to retire, what would not be possible otherwise. Also there is a drop in labor force participation of co‐residents. However, the effect is heterogeneous and the effect is concentrated for adults over 30 years old, while there is no effect for young adults. When analyzing only rural areas, we observed a decrease in labor participation of elders and co‐residents from 18 to 50 years old receiving BPC. We also observe a decrease in child labor.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Seve, Québec, Québec, G1V 0A6|
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007.
"Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice,"
NBER Working Papers
13039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Lemieux, Thomas, 2008. "Regression discontinuity designs: A guide to practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 615-635, February.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Technical Working Papers 0337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Browning & P.A. Chiappori, 1996.
"Efficient Intra-Household Allocations - A General Characterization and Empirical Tests,"
96-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- M. Browning & P. A. Chiappori, 1998. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1278, November.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: a General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Department of Economics Working Papers 1994-02, McMaster University.
- Browning, M. & Chiappori, P.A., 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," DELTA Working Papers 94-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- José Márcio Camargo & Maurício Cortez Reis, 2005.
"Aposentadoria, Pressão Salarial e Desemprego por Nível de Qualificação,"
1115, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Reis, Mauricio Cortez & Camargo, José Márcio, 2008. "Aposentadoria, Pressão Salarial e Desemprego por Nível de Qualificação," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 62(3), November.
- Case, A. & Deaton, A., 1996.
"Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa,"
176, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Case, Anne & Deaton, Angus, 1998. "Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1330-1361, September.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 1996. "Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa," NBER Working Papers 5572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Carvalho Filho, Irineu Evangelista, 2008. "Old-age benefits and retirement decisions of rural elderly in Brazil," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 129-146, April.
- de Carvalho Filho, Irineu E., 2010.
"Household income as a determinant of child labor and school enrollment in Brazil: Evidence from a social security reform,"
26046, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Irineu Evangelista de Carvalho Filho, 2012. "Household Income as a Determinant of Child Labor and School Enrollment in Brazil: Evidence from a Social Security Reform," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(2), pages 399-435.
- Eric V. Edmonds & Kristin Mammen & Douglas L. Miller, 2005.
"Rearranging the Family?: Income Support and Elderly Living Arrangements in a Low-Income Country,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 40(1).
- Eric Edmonds & Kristin Mammen & Douglas L. Miller, 2004. "Rearranging the Family? Income Support and Elderly Living Arrangements in a Low Income Country," NBER Working Papers 10306, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edmonds, Eric V., 2006. "Child labor and schooling responses to anticipated income in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 386-414, December.
- Robert Holzmann & David A. Robalino & Noriyuki Takayama, 2009. "Closing the Coverage Gap : The Role of Social Pensions and Other Retirement Income Transfers," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2651, February.
- Battistin, Erich & Rettore, Enrico, 2008. "Ineligibles and eligible non-participants as a double comparison group in regression-discontinuity designs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 715-730, February.
- Fabio Veras Soares & Sergei Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Rafael G. Osório, 2006.
"Programas De Transferências De Renda No Brasil: Impactos Sobre A Desigualdade,"
Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting]
156, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Fabio Veras Soares & Sergei Soares & Marcelo Medeiros & Rafael Guerreiro Osório, 2006. "Programas de Transferência de Renda no Brasil: impactos sobre a desigualdade," Discussion Papers 1228, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:piercr:2012-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.