Resource Rent Taxation and Benchmarking.A New Perspective for the Swiss Hydropower Sector
The electricity generation in Switzerland is mainly based on hydropower (55% of total production). The exploitation of water in the hydropower sector can generate significant so-called resource rents. These are defined by the surplus return above the value of capital, labor, materials and energy used to exploit hydropower. In Switzerland, hydropower producers pay to the State a fixed fee per kW gross capacity. With this system the substantial differences in costs, revenues and in the production characteristics of the hydropower plants are not taken into account. In this context, the following paper has two main goals: 1) To discuss the introduction in the Swiss hydropower sector of a new payment system based on a resource rent tax; 2) To propose a combination of a RRT system with a benchmarking analysis of the production cost obtained through the estimation of a stochastic frontier variable cost function. We estimate a true random effects stochastic frontier variable cost function using panel data in order to overcome the asymmetric information problem. In addition, using the information on cost efficiency of the single companies, we show how to introduce in the RRT scheme a benchmark system which gives incentives to minimize the production costs.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.bul.sbu.usi.ch|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2004.
"Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-32, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2005. "Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 69-90, 07.
- Lawrence Copithorne & Alan MacFayden & Bruce Bell, 1985. "Revenue Sharing and the Efficient Valuation of Natural Resources," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 11(s1), pages 465-478, July.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard, 1982. "Le financement de la Confederation: Le rente des ressources naturelles," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 8(3), pages 297-299, Summer.
- Bauer, Paul W. & Berger, Allen N. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Humphrey, David B., 1998.
"Consistency Conditions for Regulatory Analysis of Financial Institutions: A Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 85-114, March.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Financial Services working paper 97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Massimo Filippini & Cornelia Luchsinger, 2005.
"Economies of Scale in the Swiss Hydropower Sector,"
CEPE Working paper series
05-44, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Battese, George E., 1992. "Frontier production functions and technical efficiency: a survey of empirical applications in agricultural economics," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 7(3-4), pages 185-208, October.
- Banfi, Silvia & Filippini, Massimo & Mueller, Adrian, 2005. "An estimation of the Swiss hydropower rent," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 927-937, May.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-374, October.
- Polachek, Solomon W & Yoon, Bong Joon, 1996. "Panel Estimates of a Two-Tiered Earnings Frontier," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 169-178, March-Apr.
- Ricardo, David, 1821. "On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 3, number ricardo1821.
- Garnaut, Ross & Clunies Ross, Anthony, 1975. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion and the Taxing of Natural Resource Projects," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(338), pages 272-287, June.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2004.
"Cost Efficiency in Regional Bus Companies: An Application of Alternative Stochastic Frontier Models,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-33, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2006. "Cost Efficiency in Regional Bus Companies: An Application of Alternative Stochastic Frontier Models," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 40(1), pages 95-118, January.
- Banfi, Silvia & Filippini, Massimo & Luchsinger, Cornelia, 2002. "Deregulation of the Swiss Electricity Industry: Short-Run Implications for the Hydropower Sector," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 69-77, July.
- Mitchell Rothman, 2000. "Measuring and Apportioning Rents from Hydroelectric Power Developments," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15187.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Tjotta, Sigve, 1993. "Hydroelectric rent and precipitation variability : The case of Norway," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 81-91, April.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Battese, George E., 1992. "Frontier production functions and technical efficiency: a survey of empirical applications in agricultural economics," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 7(3-4), pages -, October.
- Rothman, M., 2000. "Measuring and Apportioning Rents from Hydroelectric Power Development," World Bank - Discussion Papers 419, World Bank.
- Eirik S. Amundsen & Christian Andersen & Jan Gaute Sannarnes, 1992. "Rent Taxes on Norwegian Hydropower Generation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 97-116.
- David W. Gillen & Jean-François Wen, 2000. "Taxing Hydroelectricity in Ontario," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 26(1), pages 35-49, March.
- Amundsen, Eirik S., 1997. "Gas power production, surplus concepts and the transformation of hydro electric rent into resource rent," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 241-259, August.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lug:wpaper:0906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessio Tutino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.