Human Capital Diversity and Entrepreneurship. Results from the regional individual skill dispersion nexus on self-employment activity
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Zoltan Acs & Lawrence Plummer, 2005.
"Penetrating the ``knowledge filter'' in regional economies,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 39(3), pages 439-456, September.
- Lawrence A. Plummer & Zoltan J. Acs, 2004. "Penetrating the "Knowledge Filter" in Regional Economies," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-38, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Doms, Mark & Lewis, Ethan & Robb, Alicia, 2010.
"Local labor force education, new business characteristics, and firm performance,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 61-77, January.
- Mark Doms & Ethan Lewis & Alicia Robb, 2010. "Local Labor Force Education, New Business Characteristics, and Firm Performance," NBER Chapters,in: Cities and Entrepreneurship National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joachim Wagner, 2006.
"Are nascent entrepreneurs 'Jacks-of-all-trades'? A test of Lazear's theory of entrepreneurship with German data,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2415-2419.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2003. "Are Nascent Entrepreneurs Jacks-of-All-Trades? A Test of Lazear's Theory of Entrepreneurship with German Data," IZA Discussion Papers 911, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Claudio Michelacci & Olmo Silva, 2007. "Why So Many Local Entrepreneurs?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-633, November.
- Parker, Simon C, 1996. "A Time Series Model of Self-Employment under Uncertainty," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(251), pages 459-475, August.
- Michael Kremer, 1993. "The O-Ring Theory of Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 551-575.
- J. Wagner, 2003.
"Testing Lazear's jack-of-all-trades view of entrepreneurship with German micro data,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(11), pages 687-689.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2002. "Testing Lazear’s Jack-of-All-Trades View of Entrepreneurship with German Micro Data," IZA Discussion Papers 592, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Rauch James E., 1993.
"Productivity Gains from Geographic Concentration of Human Capital: Evidence from the Cities,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 380-400, November.
- James E. Rauch, 1991. "Productivity Gains From Geographic Concentration of human Capital: Evidence From the Cities," NBER Working Papers 3905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yannis Georgellis & Howard Wall, 2005. "Gender differences in self-employment," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-342.
- Cressy, Robert, 1996. "Are Business Startups Debt-Rationed?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1253-1270, September.
- Parker, Simon C. & van Praag, C. Mirjam, 2006. "Schooling, Capital Constraints, and Entrepreneurial Performance: The Endogenous Triangle," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 416-431, October.
- Haifeng Qian & Zoltán J. Ács & Roger R. Stough, 2015.
"Regional systems of entrepreneurship: the nexus of human capital, knowledge and new firm formation,"
Chapters,in: Global Entrepreneurship, Institutions and Incentives, chapter 14, pages 257-285
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Haifeng Qian & Zoltan J. Acs & Roger R. Stough, 2013. "Regional systems of entrepreneurship: the nexus of human capital, knowledge and new firm formation," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(4), pages 559-587, July.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 1978. "On the Size Distribution of Business Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 508-523, Autumn.
- Joachim Wagner & Rolf Sternberg, 2004. "Start-up activities, individual characteristics, and the regional milieu: Lessons for entrepreneurship support policies from German micro data," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 38(2), pages 219-240, June.
- Christine Tamasy, 2006. "Determinants of regional entrepreneurship dynamics in contemporary Germany: A conceptual and empirical analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 365-384.
- Jo Thori Lind & Halvor Mehlum, 2010.
"With or Without U? The Appropriate Test for a U‐Shaped Relationship,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 72(1), pages 109-118, February.
- Lind, Jo Thori & Mehlum, Halvor, 2007. "With or Without U? The appropriate test for a U shaped relationship," Memorandum 21/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Lind, Jo Thori & Mehlum, Halvor, 2007. "With or Without U? - The appropriate test for a U shaped relationship," MPRA Paper 4823, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard Ericson & Ariel Pakes, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82.
- Silva, Olmo, 2007.
"The Jack-of-All-Trades entrepreneur: Innate talent or acquired skill?,"
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 118-123, November.
- Silva, Olmo, 2006. "The Jack-of-All-Trades Entrepreneur: Innate Talent or Acquired Skill?," IZA Discussion Papers 2264, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Robinson, Peter B. & Sexton, Edwin A., 1994. "The effect of education and experience on self-employment success," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 141-156, March.
- Catherine Armington & Zoltan Acs, 2002. "The Determinants of Regional Variation in New Firm Formation," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 33-45.
- Mendonça, Joana & Grimpe, Christoph, 2009. "Skill composition and regional entrepreneurship: a comparative study between Germany and Portugal," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-060, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Fonseca, Raquel & Lopez-Garcia, Paloma & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2001. "Entrepreneurship, start-up costs and employment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 692-705, May.
- Lewis, Jeffrey B. & Linzer, Drew A., 2005. "Estimating Regression Models in Which the Dependent Variable Is Based on Estimates," Political Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 345-364, September.
- Pierre Desrochers, 2001. "Local Diversity, Human Creativity, and Technological Innovation," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 369-394.
- Bates, Timothy, 1990. "Entrepreneur Human Capital Inputs and Small Business Longevity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(4), pages 551-559, November.
- Simon C. Parker, 2005. "Explaining Regional Variations in Entrepreneurship as Multiple Occupational Equilibria," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 829-850, November.
- Paul M. Romer, 1994. "The Origins of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 3-22, Winter.
More about this item
Keywordsentrepreneurship capital; human capital; nascent entrepreneur; multilevel analysis;
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ENT-2014-02-02 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-HRM-2014-02-02 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-SBM-2014-02-02 (Small Business Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lue:wpaper:289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Wagner). General contact details of provider: https://leuphana.de/institute/ivwl.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.