The Effects of Efficiency and TFP Growth on Nitrogen and Sulphur Emissions in Europe: A Multistage Spatial Analysis
It is common in firm level environmental efficiency studies for pollution to form part of the production technology. We omit nitrogen and sulphur emissions from the spatial analysis of production in European countries (1995 - 2008) because we find they are not significant inputs. Efficiency and TFP growth from the production analysis are then used in second stage spatial models of nitrogen and sulphur emissions in European countries. We find that to cut European sulphur emissions by a certain percentage requires a decrease in a composite measure of a country’s efficiency and TFP growth which is more than double the decrease needed to reduce European nitrogen emissions by the same percentage.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 1509 222701
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223910
Web page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/research/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stijn Reinhard & C.A. Knox Lovell & Geert Thijssen, 1999. "Econometric Estimation of Technical and Environmental Efficiency: An Application to Dutch Dairy Farms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 44-60.
- Oleg Badunenko & Daniel J. Henderson & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2008.
"Technological Change and Transition: Relative Contributions to Worldwide Growth During the 1990s,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(4), pages 461-492, 08.
- Oleg Badunenko & Daniel J. Henderson & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2007. "Technological Change and Transition: Relative Contributions to Worldwide Growth during the 1990s," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 740, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2005. "Bayesian measurement of productivity and efficiency in the presence of undesirable outputs: crediting electric utilities for reducing air pollution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 445-468, June.
- Alexandra Schmidt & Ajax Moreira & Steven Helfand & Thais Fonseca, 2009.
"Spatial stochastic frontier models: accounting for unobserved local determinants of inefficiency,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 101-112, April.
- Alexandra M. Schmidt & Ajax R. B. Moreira & Thais C. O. Fonseca & Steven M. Helfand, 2006. "Spatial Stochastic Frontier Models: accounting for unobserved local determinants of inefficiency," Discussion Papers 1220, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Arpaia, Alfonso & Pérez, Esther & Pichelmann, Karl, 2009.
"Understanding labour income share dynamics in Europe,"
15649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alfonso Arpaia & Esther PÃ©rez & Karl Pichelmann, 2009. "Understanding Labour Income Share Dynamics in Europe," European Economy - Economic Papers 379, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Lovell, C.A. Knox & Zofío, José L., 2009.
"Environmental efficiency measurement with translog distance functions: A parametric approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2232-2242, June.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Knox, C.A. & Zofío, José Luis, 2007. "Environmental Efficiency Measurement with Translog Distance Functions: A Parametric Approach," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2007/02, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- David Saal & David Parker & Tom Weyman-Jones, 2007. "Determining the contribution of technical change, efficiency change and scale change to productivity growth in the privatized English and Welsh water and sewerage industry: 1985–2000," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 127-139, October.
- Viliam Druska & William C. Horrace, 2002.
"Generalized Moments Estimation for Spatial Panel Data: Indonesian Rice Farming,"
0206004, EconWPA, revised 11 May 2003.
- Viliam Druska & William C. Horrace, 2004. "Generalized Moments Estimation for Spatial Panel Data: Indonesian Rice Farming," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 185-198.
- Kate Ivanova, 2011. "Corruption and air pollution in Europe," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(1), pages 49-70, January.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cole, Matthew A., 2007. "Corruption, income and the environment: An empirical analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(3-4), pages 637-647, May.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Cipollini, Andrea & Fiordelisi, Franco, 2012. "Economic value, competition and financial distress in the European banking system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 3101-3109.
- Richard T. Carson, 2010. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve: Seeking Empirical Regularity and Theoretical Structure," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(1), pages 3-23, Winter.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Maddison, David, 2006. "Environmental Kuznets curves: A spatial econometric approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 218-230, March.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Tyteca, Daniel, 1996. "An activity analysis model of the environmental performance of firms--application to fossil-fuel-fired electric utilities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 161-175, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lbo:lbowps:2012_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.