Spatial stochastic frontier models: accounting for unobserved local determinants of inefficiency
In this paper, we analyze the productivity of farms across n = 370 municipalities located in the Center-West region of Brazil. We propose a stochastic frontier model with a latent spatial structure to account for possible unknown geographical variation of the outputs. This spatial component is included in the one-sided disturbance term. We explore two different distributions for this term, the exponential and the truncated normal. We use the Bayesian paradigm to fit the proposed models. We also compare between an independent normal prior and a conditional autoregressive prior for these spatial effects. The inference procedure takes explicit account of the uncertainty when considering these spatial effects. As the resultant posterior distribution does not have a closed form, we make use of stochastic simulation techniques to obtain samples from it. Two different model comparison criteria provide support for the importance of including these latent spatial effects, even after considering covariates at the municipal level. Neste texto, analisamos a produtividade de estabelecimentos agrícolas localizados em 370 municípios da região Centro-Oeste do Brasil. Propomos um modelo de fronteira estocástica de produção com estrutura espacial latente que representa os determinantes não-observados da ineficiência da produtividade da agropecuária. Esse componente espacial condiciona a distribuição da ineficiência. Usamos o paradigma bayesiano para estimar os modelos propostos. Foram exploradas duas distribuições diferentes para este termo, a normal truncada e a exponencial, e utilizamos duas especificações para a variável latente, suposta independente entre os municípios, ou dependente dos municípios vizinhos segundo um modelo auto-regressivo espacial. O procedimento de inferência considera explicitamente todas as incertezas quando incluímos o termo espacial. Como a distribuição a posteriori não tem uma expressão analítica, utilizamos técnicas estocásticas da simulação para obter a
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/microeconomics/journal/11123/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viliam Druska & William C. Horrace, 2004.
"Generalized Moments Estimation for Spatial Panel Data: Indonesian Rice Farming,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 185-198.
- Viliam Druska & William C. Horrace, 2002. "Generalized Moments Estimation for Spatial Panel Data: Indonesian Rice Farming," Econometrics 0206004, EconWPA, revised 11 May 2003.
- Tsionas, E.G., 2001.
"Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients,"
Athens University of Economics and Business
130, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2002. "Stochastic frontier models with random coefficients," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 127-147.
- Tsionas, E.G., 2001. "Stochastic Frontier Models with Random Coefficients," DEOS Working Papers 130, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Helfand, Steven M., 2003.
"Farm Size And The Determinants Of Productive Efficiency In The Brazilian Center-West,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25890, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Helfand, Steven M. & Levine, Edward S., 2004. "Farm size and the determinants of productive efficiency in the Brazilian Center-West," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 241-249, December.
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- van den Broeck, Julien & Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1994.
"Stochastic frontier models : A Bayesian perspective,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 273-303, April.
- Broeck, Julien Van den & Steel, Mark F.J. & Osiewalski, Jacek & Koop, Gary, 1992. "Stochastic frontier models: a bayesian perspective," UC3M Working papers. Economics 2823, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Alan Gelfand & Alexandra Schmidt & Sudipto Banerjee & C. Sirmans, 2004. "Nonstationary multivariate process modeling through spatially varying coregionalization," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 13(2), pages 263-312, December.
- Gamerman, Dani & Moreira, Ajax R. B. & Rue, Havard, 2003. "Space-varying regression models: specifications and simulation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 513-533, March.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2005. "Measuring technical and allocative inefficiency in the translog cost system: a Bayesian approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 355-384, June.
- David J. Spiegelhalter & Nicola G. Best & Bradley P. Carlin & Angelika van der Linde, 2002. "Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(4), pages 583-639.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Julian Besag & Jeremy York & Annie Mollié, 1991. "Bayesian image restoration, with two applications in spatial statistics," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 43(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Gamerman, Dani & Moreira, Ajax R. B., 2004. "Multivariate spatial regression models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 262-281, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:31:y:2009:i:2:p:101-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.