An I(2) Cointegration Model With Piecewise Linear Trends: Likelihood Analysis And Application
This paper presents likelihood analysis of the I(2) cointegrated vector autoregression with piecewise linear deterministic terms. Limiting behavior of the maximum likelihood estimators are derived, which is used to further derive the limiting distribution of the likelihood ratio statistic for the cointegration ranks, extending the result for I(2) models with a linear trend in Nielsen and Rahbek (2007) and for I(1) models with piecewise linear trends in Johansen, Mosconi, and Nielsen (2000). The provided asymptotic theory extends also the results in Johansen, Juselius, Frydman, and Goldberg (2009) where asymptotic inference is discussed in detail for one of the cointegration parameters. To illustrate, an empirical analysis of US consumption, income and wealth, 1965 - 2008, is performed, emphasizing the importance of a change in nominal price trends after 1980.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Palumbo, Michael & Rudd, Jeremy & Whelan, Karl, 2002.
"On the Relationships Between Real Consumption, Income, and Wealth,"
Research Technical Papers
4/RT/02, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Palumbo, Michael & Rudd, Jeremy & Whelan, Karl, 2006. "On the Relationships Between Real Consumption, Income, and Wealth," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 1-11, January.
- Michael Palumbo & Jeremy Rudd & Karl Whelan, 2002. "On the relationships between real consumption, income and wealth," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Luca Fanelli & Emanuele Bacchiocchi, 2005. "Testing the purchasing power parity through I(2) cointegration techniques," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 749-770.
- Jurgen A. Doornik, 1998.
"Approximations To The Asymptotic Distributions Of Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-593, December.
- Doornik, Jurgen A, 1998. " Approximations to the Asymptotic Distributions of Cointegration Tests," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 573-93, December.
- Kongsted, Hans Christian, 2005. "Testing the nominal-to-real transformation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 205-225, February.
- Heino Nielsen & Christopher Bowdler, 2006.
"Inflation adjustment in the open economy: an I(2) analysis of UK prices,"
Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 569-586, September.
- Heino Bohn Nielsen & Christopher Bowdler, 2003. "Inflation Adjustment in the Open Economy: An I(2) Analysis of UK Prices," Economics Papers 2003-W05, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Juselius, Katarina, 1998. "A Structured VAR for Denmark under Changing Monetary Regimes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 400-411, October.
- Diamandis, Panayiotis F. & Georgoutsos, Dimitris A. & Kouretas, Georgios P., 2000. "The monetary model in the presence of I(2) components: long-run relationships, short-run dynamics and forecasting of the Greek drachma," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 917-941, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0913. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.