The Transformation of Hunger Revisited
We examine Trevon Logan's 2009 claim to have found low levels of nutrition among British worker's households in the late 19th century. Using the same data, we conclude that Logan's estimates are thirty percent too low. Logan buttressed his estimates by claiming that the income elasticity of calories demand was unusually high among these households, relative to other estimates, reflecting great hunger. We find that the elasticity is high, but not outside the range observed in other data sets. We also warn against the simple assertion that a high elasticity implies hunger.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Economic History, 2015, 75(2), 512 - 552|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gazeley, Ian & Newell, Andrew T., 2012.
"Urban Working-Class Food Consumption and Nutrition in Britain in 1904,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6988, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ian Gazeley & Andrew Newell, 2015. "Urban working-class food consumption and nutrition in Britain in 1904," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 68(1), pages 101-122, 02.
- Andrew Newell & Ian Gazeley, 2012. "Urban Working-Class Food Consumption and Nutrition in Britain in 1904," Working Paper Series 4712, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Floud,Roderick & Fogel,Robert W. & Harris,Bernard & Hong,Sok Chul, 2011.
"The Changing Body,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521879750, October.
- Subramanian, S. & Deaton, A., 1994.
"The Demand for Food and Calories,"
175, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Abdulai, Awudu, 2012. "A meta-analysis of the response of calorie demand to income changes," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 123287, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Logan, Trevon D., 2006. "Nutrition and Well-Being in the Late Nineteenth Century," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 66(02), pages 313-341, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7275. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.