A Simple Approach to Treatment Effects on Durations When the Treatment Timing is Chosen
When a treatment unambiguously defines the treatment and control groups at a given time point, its effects are usually found by comparing the two groups' mean responses. But there are many cases where the treatment timing is chosen, for which the conventional approach fails. This paper sets up an ideal causal framework for such cases to propose a simple gamma-mixed proportional-hazard approach with three durations: the waiting time until treatment, the untreated duration from the baseline, and the treated duration from the treatment timing. To implement the proposal, we use semiparametric piecewise-constant hazards as well as Weibull hazards with a multiplicative gamma unobserved heterogeneity affecting all three durations. Despite the three durations interwoven in complex ways, surprisingly simple closed-form likelihoods are obtained whose maximization converges well. The estimators are applied to the same data as used by Fredriksson and Johansson (2008) for employment subsidy effects on unemployment duration to find about 11.1 month reduction.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M. & Imbens, Guido, 2009.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gaure, Simen & Roed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2007.
"Time and causality: A Monte Carlo assessment of the timing-of-events approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1159-1195, December.
- Gaure, Simen & Røed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2005. "Time and Causality: A Monte Carlo Assessment of the Timing-of-Events Approach," Memorandum 19/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- Carling, Kenneth & Richardson, Katarina, 2004. "The relative efficiency of labor market programs: Swedish experience from the 1990s," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 335-354, June.
- de Luna, Xavier & Johansson, Per, 2009. "Non-Parametric Inference for the Effect of a Treatment on Survival Times with Application in the Health and Social Sciences," IZA Discussion Papers 3966, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fredriksson, Peter & Johansson, Per, 2008. "Dynamic Treatment Assignment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 435-445.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-956, July.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. Van Den Berg, 2007.
"The unobserved heterogeneity distribution in duration analysis,"
Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(1), pages 87-99.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2006. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 06-059/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Abbring, Jaap H & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2007. "The Unobserved Heterogeneity Distribution in Duration Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 6219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2003. "The identifiability of the mixed proportional hazards competing risks model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(3), pages 701-710.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.