Immigration und Arbeitsmarkt: Eine oekonomische Perspektive
Based on the current European discussion about immigration policy, this paper gives an overview of central economic consequences of immigration for a host country=s labor market. The most important theoretical arguments are presented and evaluated against the available empirical evidence. The paper concludes that immigration cannot per se be considered as good or bad for the labor market. Its impact on employment, wages and wealth depends crucially on the design of immigration policy. Immigration of selected workers may create gains in efficiency which also result in positive distributive effects, not only for capital but also for native labor.
|Date of creation:||May 1998|
|Publication status:||published in: Boesler, Klaus-Achim/ Heinritz, Günter/ Wiessner, Reinhard (Hrsg.), Europa zwischen Integration und Regionalismus, Franz Steiner Verlag, Stuttgart, 1998, 56-66; see IZA Reprints 8/99|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De New, John P & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1994.
"Native Wage Impacts of Foreign Labor: A Random Effects Panel Analysis,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 7(2), pages 177-192.
- Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1993. "Native Wage Impacts of Foreign Labour: A Random Effects Panel Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1995. "Tackling the European Migration Problems," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 45-62, Spring.
- Black,Stanley W., 2008. "Europe's Economy Looks East," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521088237, October.
- Black,Stanley W., 1997. "Europe's Economy Looks East," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521572422, August.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Muhleisen, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1994. "A panel analysis of job changes and unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 793-801, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)