Immigration und Arbeitsmarkt: Eine oekonomische Perspektive
Based on the current European discussion about immigration policy, this paper gives an overview of central economic consequences of immigration for a host country=s labor market. The most important theoretical arguments are presented and evaluated against the available empirical evidence. The paper concludes that immigration cannot per se be considered as good or bad for the labor market. Its impact on employment, wages and wealth depends crucially on the design of immigration policy. Immigration of selected workers may create gains in efficiency which also result in positive distributive effects, not only for capital but also for native labor.
|Date of creation:||May 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Boesler, Klaus-Achim/ Heinritz, Günter/ Wiessner, Reinhard (Hrsg.), Europa zwischen Integration und Regionalismus, Franz Steiner Verlag, Stuttgart, 1998, 56-66; see IZA Reprints 8/99|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1993.
"Native Wage Impacts of Foreign Labour: A Random Effects Panel Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De New, John P & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1994. "Native Wage Impacts of Foreign Labor: A Random Effects Panel Analysis," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 177-92.
- Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1995. "Tackling the European Migration Problems," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 45-62, Spring.
- Muhleisen, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1994. "A panel analysis of job changes and unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 793-801, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521088237 is not listed on IDEAS
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.