Immigrants and Unemployment in the European Community
This paper examines whether a greater concentration of foreigners increases the likelihood of unemployment in local labor markets among citizens of the European Community. It provides the results of probit equations estimating the likelihood of employment in Europe as a function of a set of explanatory variables that include immigrant concentration in local labor markets. The estimates show a statistically significant, but weak, negative connection between the concentration of foreigners in a local labor market and the likelihood of employment among European citizens residing in that labor market. The results are shown to vary by country within the European Union.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Card, 1990.
"The impact of the Mariel boatlift on the Miami labor market,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(2), pages 245-257, January.
- David Card, 1990. "The Impact of the Mariel Boatlift on the Miami Labor Market," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(2), pages 245-257, January.
- David Card, 1989. "The Impact of the Mariel Boatlift on the Miami Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 3069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1993.
"Native Wage Impacts of Foreign Labour: A Random Effects Panel Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De New, John P & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1994. "Native Wage Impacts of Foreign Labor: A Random Effects Panel Analysis," Journal of Population Economics, European Society for Population Economics, vol. 7(2), pages 177-92.
- Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1995. "Tackling the European Migration Problems," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 45-62, Spring.
- Muhleisen, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1994. "A panel analysis of job changes and unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 793-801, April.
- Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 1994. "Do Immigrants Displace Native Workers? The Austrian Experience," CEPR Discussion Papers 991, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Winkelmann, Rainer & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1992. "Ageing, Migration and Labour Mobility," CEPR Discussion Papers 706, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.