Estimating the Returns to Education Using the Newest Current Population Survey Education Questions
This paper examines the 1997 additions to the Current Population Survey education question. These new questions allow researchers to come closer to the “highest grade completed” measure available before 1992. Using the new information, the average imputed “highest grade completed” is one-tenth grade greater and the estimated return to education .6 to 1 percentage points lower than when using only the post-1991 “highest degree received” question.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Economics Letters, 2003, 78 (3), 385-394|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melissa Clark & David Jaeger, 2006.
"Natives, the foreign-born and high school equivalents: new evidence on the returns to the GED,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 769-793, October.
- Melissa A. Clark & David Jaeger, 2002. "Natives, the Foreign-Born and High School Equivalents: New Evidence on the Returns to the GED," Working Papers 841, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Clark, Melissa A. & Jaeger, David A., 2002. "Natives, the Foreign-Born and High School Equivalents: New Evidence on the Returns to the GED," IZA Discussion Papers 477, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Harley Frazis & Jay Stewart, 1999. "Tracking the Returns to Education in the 1990s: Bridging the Gap between the New and Old Current Population Survey Education Items," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(3), pages 629-641.
- Jaeger, David A, 1997. "Reconciling the Old and New Census Bureau Education Questions: Recommendations for Researchers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(3), pages 300-309, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.