The Measurement of Child Costs: A Rothbarth-Type Method Consistent with Scale Economies
We propose a new methodology to estimate the share of household income accruing to children (i.e., the cost of children). Following the principle of the Rothbarth approach, the identification of the children's share requires the observation of at least one adult-specific good. However, our method differs from this traditional approach in that it allows measuring economies of scale in the household and indifference scales in Lewbel (2003)'s sense. We illustrate the method with an application on the French Household Budget Survey.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as 'Expenditure on Children: A Rothbarth-Type Method Consistent with Scale Economies and Parents' Bargaining' in: European Economic Review, 2012, 56 (4), 792-813|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernarda Zamora, 2007.
"Does Female Participation Affect The Sharing Rule?,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2007-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Bernarda Zamora, 2011. "Does female participation affect the sharing rule?," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 47-83, January.
- Nelson, Julie A, 1988. "Household Economies of Scale in Consumption: Theory and Evidence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1301-14, November.
- Olivier Bargain & Olivier Donni & Monnet Gbakou, 2010.
"The Measurement of Child Costs: Evidence from Ireland,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 41(1), pages 1-20.
- Olivier Bargain & Olivier Donni & Monnet Gbakou, 2010. "The Measurement of Child Costs: Evidence from Ireland," Working Papers 201002, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Bargain, Olivier & Donni, Olivier & Gbakou, Monnet Benoit Patrick, 2009. "The Measurement of Child Costs: Evidence from Ireland," IZA Discussion Papers 4672, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Donni, 2009. "A Simple Approach to Investigate Intrahousehold Allocation of Private and Public Goods," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 617-628, August.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2002.
"Calculating Compensation in Cases of Wrongful Death,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
523, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 07 Jun 2002.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2003. "Calculating compensation in cases of wrongful death," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 115-128, March.
- R. Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000.
"Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/f0uohitsgqh, Sciences Po.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 53-84, January.
- Richard Blundell & Robin, J M, 1995. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," IFS Working Papers W95/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lazear, Edward P. & Michael, Robert T., 1988. "Allocation of Income within the Household," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226469669.
- Olivier Bargain & Olivier Donni, 2012.
"Targeting and child poverty,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 783-808, October.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1988. "Consumption Technology and the Intrafamily Distribution of Resources:," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(6), pages 1183-1205, December.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999. "Estimation in large and disaggregated demand systems: an estimator for conditionally linear systems," Working Papers 249982, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Arthur Lewbel & Krishna Pendakur, 2008.
"Estimation of Collective Household Models With Engel Curves,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
694, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lewbel, Arthur & Pendakur, Krishna, 2008. "Estimation of collective household models with Engel curves," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 350-358, December.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "Cost of characteristics indices and household equivalence scales," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1277-1293, August.
- Browning, Martin, 1992. "Children and Household Economic Behavior," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1434-75, September.
- Deaton, A. & Paxson, C., 1997.
"Economies of Scale, Household Size, and the Demand for Food,"
178, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Angus Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1998. "Economies of Scale, Household Size, and the Demand for Food," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 897-930, October.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 377-391, August.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Blundell, Richard & Robin, Jean Marc, 1999.
"Estimation in Large and Disaggregated Demand Systems: An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 209-32, May-June.
- R, Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1997. "Estimation in Large and Dissagregated Demand Systems : An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems," Working Papers 97-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Deaton, Angus S & Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Thomas, Duncan, 1989. "The Influence of Household Composition on Household Expenditure Patterns: Theory and Spanish Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(1), pages 179-200, February.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00359353 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1979. "Welfare Comparisons and Equivalence Scales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 216-21, May.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1986. "On Measuring Child Costs: With Applications to Poor Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 720-44, August.
- repec:inr:wpaper:249984 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tsakloglou, Panos, 1991. "Estimation and Comparison of Two Simple Models of Equivalence Scales for the Cost of Children," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(405), pages 343-57, March.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00357752 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matzkin, Rosa L., 2007. "Nonparametric identification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 73 Elsevier.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1991. "The Intrafamily Allocation of Goods--How to Separate the Adult from the Child," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(3), pages 207-35, July.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.