The Measurement of Child Costs: Evidence from Ireland
We apply an extension of the Rothbarth approach to estimate the share of household resources accruing to children (i.e., the cost of children) in Ireland. The method also allows us to identify the economies of scale in the household and indifference scales in Lewbel (2003)’s sense. A practical aspect of the present approach is that it does not require price variation. The identification of the children’s share requires the observation of adult-specific goods as in the traditional Rothbarth method. We compare our findings to previous results for Ireland.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Arthur Lewbel, 2013.
"Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 80(4), pages 1267-1303.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 2006. "Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power," Economics Series Working Papers 289, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andrée Chiappori & Arthur Lewbel, 2004. "Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 588, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2010.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Arthur Lewbel, "undated". "Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power," CAM Working Papers 2003-12, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics, revised Dec 2003.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Richard Blundell & Costas Meghir, 2002.
"Collective labour supply with children,"
IFS Working Papers
W02/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Denis Conniffe & Brian Nolan & Christopher T. Whelan, 1999. "Household Composition, Living Standards, and "Needs"," Papers WP106, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Micklewright, John, 2004.
"Child Poverty in English-Speaking Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1113, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Blundell & Robin, J M, 1995.
"Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 53-84, January.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability," Post-Print hal-00357752, HAL.
- R. Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/f0uohitsgqh, Sciences Po.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1988. "Consumption Technology and the Intrafamily Distribution of Resources:," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(6), pages 1183-1205, December.
- Conniffe, Denis, 1992. "The Non-constancy of Equivalence Scales," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 38(4), pages 429-443, December.
- Arthur Lewbel & Krishna Pendakur, 2008.
"Estimation of Collective Household Models With Engel Curves,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
694, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lewbel, Arthur & Pendakur, Krishna, 2008. "Estimation of collective household models with Engel curves," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 350-358, December.
- Barrett, Alan & Coleman, Kieran & Delaney, Liam & Fahey, Tony & Gannon, Brenda & Kearney, Ide & McCarthy, Yvonne & Nolan, Brian & Walsh, John R., 2006. "Budget Perspectives 2007," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BMI192 edited by Callan, Tim.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2002.
"Calculating Compensation in Cases of Wrongful Death,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
523, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 07 Jun 2002.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2003. "Calculating compensation in cases of wrongful death," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 115-128, March.
- Blundell, Richard & Robin, Jean Marc, 1999.
"Estimation in Large and Disaggregated Demand Systems: An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 209-232, May-June.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1999. "Estimation in large and disaggregated demand systems: an estimator for conditionally linear systems," Post-Print hal-00359353, HAL.
- R, Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 1997. "Estimation in Large and Dissagregated Demand Systems : An Estimator for Conditionally Linear Systems," Working Papers 97-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Sara Cantillon & Brian Nolan, 2001. "Poverty Within Households: Measuring Gender Differences Using Nonmonetary Indicators," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 5-23.
- Browning, Martin, 1992. "Children and Household Economic Behavior," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1434-1475, September.
- Shelly J. Lundberg & Robert A. Pollak & Terence J. Wales, 1997. "Do Husbands and Wives Pool Their Resources? Evidence from the United Kingdom Child Benefit," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(3), pages 463-480.
- Gronau, Reuben, 1991. "The Intrafamily Allocation of Goods--How to Separate the Adult from the Child," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(3), pages 207-235, July.
- Lazear, Edward P. & Michael, Robert T., 1988. "Allocation of Income within the Household," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226469669, November.
- Olivier Bargain & Olivier Donni, 2010.
"The measurement of child costs : a Rothbarth-type method consistent with scale economies,"
201001, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Bargain, Olivier & Donni, Olivier, 2009. "The Measurement of Child Costs: A Rothbarth-Type Method Consistent with Scale Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 4654, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Conniffe, Denis & Keogh, Gary, 1988. "Equivalence Scales and Costs of Children," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GRS142.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:41:y:2010:i:1:p:1-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Lawless)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.