The expenditure on children in Japan
This study estimates average expenditures on children by families in Japan on the basis of the rich information about household expenditures and demographics obtained from the Family Income and Expenditure Survey. We show that the total expenditure on the first child accumulated from birth through age 18 is approximately 16.5 million yen based on 2004-2008 data. Average per child expenditure (accumulated over the same age period) in a household with two children is reduced to about 11million yen, suggesting partly that there are economies of scale in child rearing activities and that families with two children have less money to spend on each child. The share of child rearing expenditure in total consumption appears to have been steadily increasing since mid-1980s.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://cis.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Bargain & Olivier Donni, 2010.
"The measurement of child costs : a Rothbarth-type method consistent with scale economies,"
201001, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Bargain, Olivier & Donni, Olivier, 2009. "The Measurement of Child Costs: A Rothbarth-Type Method Consistent with Scale Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 4654, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain & Monnet Gbakou & Olivier Donni, 2010.
"The measurement of child costs : evidence from Ireland,"
201002, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Olivier Bargain & Olivier Donni & Monnet Gbakou, 2010. "The Measurement of Child Costs: Evidence from Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 41(1), pages 1-20.
- Bargain, Olivier & Donni, Olivier & Gbakou, Monnet Benoit Patrick, 2009. "The Measurement of Child Costs: Evidence from Ireland," IZA Discussion Papers 4672, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rosenbaum Dan T & Ruhm Christopher J, 2007. "Family Expenditures on Child Care," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-32, July.
- BARGAIN Olivier & DONNI Olivier, 2010. "The Measurement of Child Costs: A Rothbarth-Type Method Consistent with Scale Economies and Parents? Bargaining," LISER Working Paper Series 2010-30, LISER.
- Federico Perali & Martina Menon, 2009. "Econometric Identification of the Cost of Maintaining a Child," Working Papers 63/2009, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Masako Oyama, 2006. "Measuring cost of children using equivalence scale on Japanese panel data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(7), pages 409-415.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:cisdps:527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.