Race, Performance, Pay and Retention among National Basketball Association Head Coaches
This paper estimates racial differences in the retention probability, pay and performance of NBA coaches over the 1996-2003 period. Using a hazard function approach, I find small and statistically insignificant racial differences in the exit hazard, conditional on team performance, team payroll, and a variety of coaching quality indicators. There were also statistically insignificant racial differences in the quit and discharge hazards, all else equal. Further, among marginal coaches, I find no racial performance differentials, all else equal. Finally, controlling for performance and qualifications, I find small and statistically insignificant racial differences in annual compensation, total contractwide compensation, and contract duration. Together, these findings do not suggest that black NBA coaches are subject to racial discrimination in entry, pay or retention.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Sports Economics, 2006, 7 (2), 119-149|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Hall & Edward P. Lazear, 1982.
"The Excess Sensitivity of Layoffs and Quits to Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
0864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E & Lazear, Edward P, 1984. "The Excess Sensitivity of Layoffs and Quits to Demand," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(2), pages 233-57, April.
- Farber, Henry S., 1999. "Mobility and stability: The dynamics of job change in labor markets," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 37, pages 2439-2483 Elsevier.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 1991. "Discrimination in Professional Sports: A Survey of the Literature," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(3), pages 395-418, April.
- Brad R. Humphreys, 2000. "Equal Pay on the Hardwood: The Earnings Gap between Male and Female NCAA Division I Basketball Coaches," Journal of Sports Economics, The North American Association of Sports Economists, vol. 1(3), pages 299-307, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.